Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking stoves

Re: Backpacking stoves

Great info here, even if it does read a bit like a Ford, Chev, Dodge thread.
    I have an old Primus stove that works great, but after reading the revues here, it sounds like it's time for an upgrade.

When coffee, tea or boiling water for a Mountain House at the end of the day, JB and WB/Reactor have no equal. Long way of saying, if you backpack hunt, get one...

Quote Originally Posted by Stresd View Post
    Have you ever used a reactor stove???? You would have to knock the whole unit, stove and all over. Which would be the case with any of the small outdoor single burner stoves. The pot has an indented bottom that fits perfectly on top of the burner. A person Must lift the pot off, as it can not be slid off because of the design. Try to slide it off and you will knock the whole sheabang over. I make sure the fuel canister is sitting solid. In all my years of use I have never knocked my reactor over.
    Some pictures here of the bottom of the pots.

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot...r-reactor.html
    That was one of the reasons I went with the Windburner. I've never seen one in person but had read a couple places the pot didn't attach.

From Outdoor Gear Lab

As mentioned previously, unlike Jetboil models or the Windburner, the Reactor does not attach to the burner. This makes the whole Reactor system a little more prone to tipping over or falling apart, although it is easier to remove the pot from the heat source when it is about to boil over. It is much easier to move these stoves around when they are a single unit like the Jetboil models.

http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Stove-Reviews/MSR-Reactor

But maybe they have updated the design.

Quote Originally Posted by Stresd View Post
    Have you ever used a reactor stove???? You would have to knock the whole unit, stove and all over. Which would be the case with any of the small outdoor single burner stoves. The pot has an indented bottom that fits perfectly on top of the burner. A person Must lift the pot off, as it can not be slid off because of the design. Try to slide it off and you will knock the whole sheabang over. I make sure the fuel canister is sitting solid. In all my years of use I have never knocked my reactor over.
    Some pictures here of the bottom of the pots.

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot...r-reactor.html
    Well the one that my hunting partner has that we used on a trip. Sits on top of the burner, and at the end of the day we were in crocs boiling water and one of us accidentally knocked the pot off the burner. Near boiling water almost landed on our feet, which could of been really bad when your 1.5 days hike in. So i am just speaking from experience, i didnt mean you offend you and your precious reactor stove

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    we were in crocs boiling water and one of us accidentally knocked the pot off the burner. Near boiling water almost landed on our feet, which could of been really bad when your 1.5 days hike in.
    Exactly what I said in my original post. You would have to knock the sucker over.

You would have to knock the whole unit, stove and all over. Which would be the case with any of the small outdoor single burner stoves

One must try and be more careful when dealing with hot items or they could burn themselves badly.

The pot tipped off, it doesnt lock onto the burner like jetboils, or the windburner. Its rests on top, making it more easily to be knocked off. Just stating the facts.

I use a Jetboil Sol for thru hiking and have an MSR Dragonfly for 20 years for everything else. Burns white gas, kerosene, diesel and unleaded fuel. Always lights, miserly on fuel easy to fix. Just pick the size of fuel bottle for your trip and go. Oh, and it SIMMERS really well and is good for melting snow.

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    i didnt mean you offend you and your precious reactor stove
    Normally I'm the dickhole, how about you stick to your job and I'll stick to mine?

Also, I learned something from this thread. Apparently one must be careful with hot things. Game changer!

Another vote for the msr wind burner. Used 1 small can of fuel for 2 guys 5 days
    BCWF
    VIPDC

I picked up the MSR Microrocket.
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.