Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking stoves

Re: Backpacking stoves

Msr reactor, super fast boil, efficient. Has worked flawlessly thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    What makes it better Scott ? quality ?

I was just checking them out online looks an aweful lot like a jetboil, Im sure either of these would suffice.
    You are right, it is very much Jetboil like. It uses the Reactor burner with the heat flux rings or whatever the heck the fins are called. Offers better protection from the wind around the "flame". The Windburner doesn't have a flame per se, rather some thingy that gets hot much like those heat dishes you can use with a propane tank.

Seems more durable, the pot and cozy jacket thing has a bit of a "tear proof" surface.

Also it boils water...wait, so does the Jet Boil!

Sorry for all the technical mumbo jumbo!

I grabbed a Windburner last year and sold my Jetboil. Honestly not sure how much further ahead I am. But for a few ounces I'll go with the MSR reputation.

To summarize, beats the hell out of me what makes it better. I don't even know if it is. But I have one. And I like it. And Scott says it is. So there.

Glad I could be of such a huge help!

Here is a couple links from a site that seems to get it right more times than not with gear reviews and rankings.

Not everything in the top spots are what I would choose for MY needs or wants.

But for the most part I find Outdoor Gear Lab to be a good place to start.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Stove-Reviews

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpa...MSR-Windburner

WARNING: CLICKING THE ABOVE LINKS MAY RESULT IN BUYING A BUNCH OF CRAP YOU DON'T NEED

I use a svea 123r burns white gas. A bit of a bugger to prime. I think there are a few new ones still for sale. Good reliable little stoves. Not much to go wrong on them.
    can you skin gizz ?

Nothing wrong with all the stoves mentioned above however I have come to like something that uses fuel that I can readily obtain on the trail so I have been trying out this wood fired unit, I like it a lot but it is heavier than the others if you are not carrying much fuel.

Check via this link: http://www.bioliteenergy.com/product...XUNRoCnYTw_wcB

Cheers, Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

I've had the whisper light for twenty years, love it!

Learn how to properly clean it, and make sure its working right before you head out..
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBob View Post
    Nothing wrong with all the stoves mentioned above however I have come to like something that uses fuel that I can readily obtain on the trail so I have been trying out this wood fired unit, I like it a lot but it is heavier than the others if you are not carrying much fuel.

Check via this link: http://www.bioliteenergy.com/product...XUNRoCnYTw_wcB

Cheers, Bob
    You can get stainless steel and titanium versions of these. Not the kind that charge stuff, but just for cooking.

I had threatened to get one a bunch of times. But got talked out of it, thankfully. It seems like there is a ton of fuel out there. But I think you'd find the stuff that'll burn easily you'd have to stoke it pretty regularly to get it and keep it going.

I think for summer scouting trips and what not it'd be a cool thing to have, when time may not be of importance in the evenings.

After a day of hunting, I want food down my gullet sooner than not.

Doesn't always have to be right away, but I find there is enough odds and ends that need attention getting back to camp that taking care of those and then having to "build" a fire just to eat doesn't sound appealing.

I went from being very intrigued by the romance of boiling water on a wood fire to realizing boiling water being a flick of a lighter and the roar of butane away is something I'd rather have.

I have used an Esbit fuel stove a few times. I used it on a couple of spring bear trips. Short trips, just boiling water once an evening, it works fine.

I use this one, which is 0.4oz and each fuel tablet is 0.5oz.

https://esbit.de/en/solid-fuel-stove...ium-st11-5-ti/

Each fuel tablet will boil about a litre of water. I boil 500ml and put out and save the second half of the fuel for the next boil. Boil time isn't bad. 8 or 9 minutes for the 500ml.

Not sure you'd much luck using away from your shelter with any kind of wind. It'll keep burning, but the heat that is hitting the pot will be minimal.

Something to keep in mind if you are think you'll want to make a meal outside of the shelter. Or in an emergency away from camp.

Does get the pot all sooty, so I carry a bag for the pot. Which added an ounce or so.

I come out with well over a pound of weight savings on a 3 night trip. Probably closer to 1lb 4oz.

But I'd be hesitant to take this stove on a trip where I wasn't certain I could be out of the bush in 6 hours or less. I could see using for a 7-day spring bear trip in the right situation.

Or make sure my partner is packing a heavy stove and bargain some hot water out of him. Best to bring it up at the top of the mountain.

"Hey, no idea if this stove will work worth s&^t. You cool with me using yours if not?"

I mean, you know they'll say "Oh absolutely! If you want I can pack your meat out too!"

Goes without saying, test your stove at home. If it is canister stove, it is worth the cost of a canister to test how many boils of a very specific amount of water you can get out of one. You can weigh them after each boil and get an idea for how much fuel a boil uses in grams and then know what a partial canister will get you on a later trip.

The MSR ones even have a little cheat sheet on the cannister for floating it in water and depending on how far it sinks it has how much fuel is left marked off.

Packing extra fuel, like A LOT extra has Good Idea Fairy written all over it. I've had canisters that got packed in and out 3 times before the seal got broken...learned my lesson there.

Remember, boil/cook time will always change with altitude,

along with temp and wind...
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

MSR makes some great backpacking stoves, don't know what mines called but its MSR and I love it..

I use an msr whisperlite. Brother rocks an msr not-jet boil. Last season we cooked on his, including on a scouting trip where we had to heat a bottle for his 9 month old son who came along on a day trip. Both work, he just stores his closer to the top of his pack.

If you get an MSR, I'd recommend two medium fuel bottles over one big one. The single big guy is more awkward to pack, but like has been mentioned, a little fire starter doesn't hurt!
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.