Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking stoves

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: Backpacking stoves

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    the MSR windburner is better than the jetboils fyi
    What makes it better Scott ? quality ?

I was just checking them out online looks an aweful lot like a jetboil, Im sure either of these would suffice.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    The Primus gas stoves are worth checking out. I have had mine for about 25 years now and the piezo lighter still works. I don't know the model but it folds up in a little pouch that fits in the palm of your hand. It uses the half butane, half propane gas canisters that act as the stove base as well. They boil water quickly but unlike some gas stoves they can be turned right down without going out if you want to simmer something.
    X2
    Used a Primus stove on our last 2 sheep hunts. Compared to others, it is inexpensive but it works really well. It is very light, simple, dependable and compact. Fuel canisters come in 3 sizes. We got 7 days of use out of 1 large canister. That is Breakfast and dinner every day plus another boil of 1.5litres for tea or wash water. I really like the fuel canisters. Unlike some stoves where you fill a container with kerosene, the primus is no mess, no fuel spills or leaks.
    Cooking in a sheltered area out of the wind really helps conserve fuel. I am sure this applies to all stoves of this type.
    Semper in excretum altum

I love my whisperlite. Many years of great service.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

I did watch a podcast on the gritty bowman where they had some issues melting snow with a jet boil. Pretty sure I used mine to melt snow a few years ago on a goat hunt without issues though. But apparently they can burn out the bottoms..
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Ive got an msr pocket rocket haha still makes me giggle you may want something a little higher capacity but the thing works awsome boils enough water for 2 mountain house in about 6 mins.

I used the Whisperlite for years, and still have it, still works fine. However, a few years ago I got a WindPro, and now I use it almost exclusively. I like the convenience of the canisters (no pumping, priming etc), and the MSR fuel seems to work fine in cold weather, although I haven't had it in really cold stuff. Also, notice both choices put the fuel to the side with the burner able to sit lower, this makes it less tippy with a pot of water on it, and I can put the aluminum heat reflector around the burner and water pot no problem. Many times I have made meals for two of us while laying in my sleeping bag keeping warm, with me inside the tent and the stove outside. With the fuel to the side I don't have to worry too much about spilling, just have to be careful is all. Works great for me!

whisperlight international, can use almost any any fuel. jetboils are good, i just find their more a 1 man stove

Hmm msr..worst flawlessly for years..just water boiling, dehydrated food mountain house. .plus tea.
    Steven

Ive never used a Jet boil or the MSR all in one stoves. I do have a MSR Whisperlite international that I use for a base camp stove, to heave with fuel for backpacking. Also use the MSR pocket rocket, but its not the most efficient stove. Recently upgraded to a SOTO windmaster. 3.6 oz 11,000 btu and uses less fuel than a pocket rocket.

Been using the whisper lite for a few years now and liked it and reliable. Got a msr reactor for Christmas so I'll be using that this year for bear season at least. They get really great reviews so I'm excited to try it out.