Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking stoves

Re: Backpacking stoves

I have msr windpro and its been great. buddies got jetboil, seems to me 6 of one, half dozen of another. I will say the windpro tucks into a tiny little bag

MSR microrocket. Incredibly tiny, weightless, and works well. Best stove I've had to date.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Ok does anyone know if the MSR WINDBURNER can use the Jetboil fuel canisters or vice versa ?
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Ok does anyone know if the MSR WINDBURNER can use the Jetboil fuel canisters or vice versa ?
    if its Isobutane,which I think it is, then it shouldn't be an issue.
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBob View Post
    Nothing wrong with all the stoves mentioned above however I have come to like something that uses fuel that I can readily obtain on the trail so I have been trying out this wood fired unit, I like it a lot but it is heavier than the others if you are not carrying much fuel.

Check via this link: http://www.bioliteenergy.com/product...XUNRoCnYTw_wcB

Cheers, Bob
    Iskut" stoves..small, lite, Woodburn ing. .ie twigs..fast boils water Pronto. .maybe only place not good? High valleys just rocks..doesn't need much twigs..wasn't much slower than MSR" no fuel..really lightens the pack..i will post photos after Kamloops trip
    Srupp

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by TARCHER View Post
    I have msr windpro and its been great. buddies got jetboil, seems to me 6 of one, half dozen of another. I will say the windpro tucks into a tiny little bag
    So I just read a bunch of reviews and tests on MSR vs Jetboil, as you say 6 of one half dozen of the other, the MSR is better for wind resistance, both boil water in about the same of time, MSR a few seconds faster, Jetboil has a built in starter, the MSR will retain heat on the pot longer as its sealed better to the pot.
    So the MSR may have the edge for a camping stove in the wind.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

If you're looking for a water boiler, the Jetboil or Windburner are tough to top. I'm still using a JB Sol from 2012 without issue and 2 minute/liter boil times are legit.

Whatever you decide, I'd stick with canister stoves for clean, low maintenance and user friendly.

So I just read a bunch of reviews and tests on MSR vs Jetboil, as you say 6 of one half dozen of the other, the MSR is better for wind resistance, both boil water in about the same of time, MSR a few seconds faster, Jetboil has a built in starter, the MSR will retain heat on the pot longer as its sealed better to the pot.
    So the MSR may have the edge for a camping stove in the wind.
    I've actually been thinking of grabbing one of the WB's and testing it against my Sol. My main use for these stoves is alpine hunts, so wind is almost always an issue.
    Fuel canisters arr same/same and you don't need to match canister brand to stove brand, despite what the instructions recommend. I've burned 'em all with zero change in performance.

almost all stoves now run the same isobutyle fuels. the nozzle on canisters are opposite to the old school green propane ones. one is male, other is female.
    way better fuel than old propane for burn with altitiude and cold
    i do believe the whisperlight international can use the canisters, or the bottles of fuel. cant recall what model but one or a couple are compatable

What makes it better Scott ? quality ?

I was just checking them out online looks an aweful lot like a jetboil, Im sure either of these would suffice.
    boils faster, more fuel efficient, wind does not effect it, nor does elevation.