Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking stoves

Backpacking stoves

Well I just picked up my new MSR tent I bought a Badlands OX pack last month and now am looking for a stove to take on some weekend backpacking hunts with my son this coming season. I am looking at something that will work for two people. Some pros or cons with your suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Drew

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Backpacking stoves

I love my jet boil, water boils in no time, I bought the French press attachment and now have amazing real coffee in no time and no effort it's fantastic.
    ~Wes

I bought and used the MSR windburner last season and it works really well, and like it says stands up to a pretty stiff wind. Not really a stove though so much as a device to boil water for freeze dried meals and hot drinks.
    If you want to actually cook something you need something like a Wisperlight.
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I would say the Jetboil also, I have 3 of them, Jetboil Flash, Flashlite and the Sumo, also have their fluxring fry pan and coffee press, all functional and lightweight, boils water in a snap.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Thank witch one would you pick for a two man option?

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    I would say the Jetboil also, I have 3 of them, Jetboil Flash, Flashlite and the Sumo, also have their fluxring fry pan and coffee press, all functional and lightweight, boils water in a snap.

No complaints with the msr whisperlight. There are definite advantages to bringing some extra fuel to get a fire going, not if but when the weather turns to shit. The 1 litre msr white gas bottle last two of us 10+ days boiling coffee/tea morning and freeze dried evenings.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

the MSR windburner is better than the jetboils fyi

The Primus gas stoves are worth checking out. I have had mine for about 25 years now and the piezo lighter still works. I don't know the model but it folds up in a little pouch that fits in the palm of your hand. It uses the half butane, half propane gas canisters that act as the stove base as well. They boil water quickly but unlike some gas stoves they can be turned right down without going out if you want to simmer something.

I've got the Jet-boil for dehydrated meals or the pocket rocket if I am wanting to cook food like sidekicks etc. Figure what your menu is and that will dictate how you will be cooking pretty much. the nice thing is the Isobutane canisters will work for either. My daughter and I are backpacking Cathedral park this Spring and I haven't decided which set up to bring yet. The pocket rocket set up with Ti pot is a lighter weight option but we will likely make up our own dehydrated meals at the house. Can still use the PR for this as I find pocket rocket/stove option has more cooking surface than the jetboil and the PR seems to be easier to simmer food on.

Rob
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

I have a jet boil flash, works fine for making a single serve mountain house and a small hot drink or one 2 serving mountain house per boil. I love it, 12-15 boils per 100g canister.
    " Size doesn't matter 'til the freezer is full!" - Dad

" If you buy a new gun, I get a new kitchen!" - my lovely wife

Sako Finnlight 300 WSM
    Rem 700 CDL 25.06 Rem