Thread: The other Taltapin Lake campsite?

The other Taltapin Lake campsite?

Have any of you used the alternative campsite to the BC Forest Service one at Taltapin lake?

It's about five km east of the official one at the end of a rough track that follows the shore. Lots of grouse and hare along that road too.

It's set above a wide spot in the Pinkut River just before it empties into the lake through an impoundment dam. Has access to quite a bit of lagoon type water upstream, particularly if you can get up a rapids.

Some bow hunters go there for bow season but I wonder if it is used much for the general open season. Nice spot, there's an outhouse set up.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The other Taltapin Lake campsite?

Iv been many times, gos it gets hit hard up that way, fn spend a lot of time up there also. Great camping and fishin, and grouse huntin, but for moose hunting without a leh or early bow season, it would be slim pickin's and busy.

The far far end of the lake on the other hand, can be good moose'n.

Cheers.

We base out of the main site as the "weir" as we call it is always full during GOS with guys that drift that wetland complex you are looking at. Long bumpy haul down there to find others already there.

Record during the GOS at the main camp,,,,, 18 camps.

Having fun yet.

Sounds like the Indy 500 when that many trucks, quads and motorcycles take off from there every morning.

PS. They are no longer FS Rec Sites, been 11 years since BC Forest Service gave them up.

all the old government campsites are looked after by a volunteer group called "Lakes Outdoor Recreation Society"

Sometimes people are camped there sometimes not. Last time I stopped in that camp it was a mess. Would be nice if all those who camp there clean up after them selves.

Have not seen much moose up there last 2 years but they are around. Don't shoot all the ruffies save some for me it's nice to bring back some for dinner well I am out cutting firewood lol

I was at the LORS site in 2015 with buddies who had LEH tickets. I stayed for 10 days and I was the only one who saw a bull moose in that time period and that was while they were away with the canoe but I wasn't part of the LEH, only along to cook and help.

Anyway, I had to leave to get back to work then they stayed another week and got a bull each quite a ways away from camp. One party however got a bull just uphill of the adjacent camp the day before we got there. There are moosies in the area.

was my favorite spot as a youngster to go grouse hunting and fishing...small trout but one every cast in the fall at the mouth of the creek
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Used to camp there many years ago , but now we just stay at the main camp at the lake , We do put a boat in there and do what we call the drift , through the chain of lakes and have some one pick us up at the bridge , have not seen much for moose in there in the last 5 years and the Weir road seems to be getting worst but it great for grouse hunting and the occasional bear , we usually head down to the 4 mile , its a bit of a drive but usually get out moose outa there , Last year they only isued 1tag per LEH season , yet the Guide has an allotment of 55 tags spread out between 2017 to 2021 , the Clark Govt, has really screwed the resident hunters in this province with the new allocation rules.

Man that boils my butt