Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canoe?

Canoe?

Many of you guys fishing lakes out of canoes???

I have a couple of young kids and would love to get a big canoe that the 4 of us can take out on some lakes to fly-fish out of. What size should we be looking at?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Canoe?

I'd get an inflatable, canoes are tipsy
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Canoes and lakes are not a good match. This is from someone who has an 18 1/2 with a 4.5 Merc. A good row boat is a better match or a 12' tinny and motor. The aluminum Harbourcraft are good boats, the Mirbocraft (sp) are better. The tinnys are for motors, as row boats they drag half the lake behind you.

I agree 100%. Little kids jumping around is terrifying in a canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    Canoes and lakes are not a good match. This is from someone who has an 18 1/2 with a 4.5 Merc. A good row boat is a better match or a 12' tinny and motor. The aluminum Harbourcraft are good boats, the Mirbocraft (sp) are better. The tinnys are for motors, as row boats they drag half the lake behind you.
    I grew up on Kootenay Lake, neighbour-friend owned a marina and we did a lot of boating all year long. I also served in the CCG in Georgia Strait.

In really bad weather, a GOOD lapstrake row boat 12-14' is my first choice, small Yammy or the old British Seagull.

I am not keen on tin boats and IF you learn how to handle it well, a good canoe of the right design, with a small engine is a safe and reliable craft, but, SKILL is essential.

Kids and others, NEED appropriate discipline and training for boating on BC's cold, deep and often rough lakes and that is where one should start, instilling absolute obedience in the kids so that they DO NOT "horse around" in a boat on the water.

I have a 12 foot inflatable sea eagle 9 and it takes about 20 min to blow it up and take down.
    You have the option to get floor boards and motor mount too
    It's very durable. I used it to fish lakes around here and it's easy to handle for 1 guy (without floorboards)
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Cool Re: Canoe?

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    I have a couple of young kids and would love to get a big canoe that the 4 of us can take out on some lakes to fly-fish out of.
    Having spent a fair part of my life wandering around in skinny boats, I'd like to offer a couple of perspectives...

"Young Kids" if Singular is likely manageable. If two, or heaven forbid even more, the likelihood of impending disaster goes up exponentially.
    Toss in a wife or a dog, and wear your wet-suit

Fly fishing requires a fair amount of movement. Skinny boats LOVE this sort of thing. Wear the wet-suit.

Larger and wider Skinny Boats exist, and in fact there is a version or two of lake / big river freighter's that might suit your needs.
    Pricey. Then need a rather decent sized outboard to move it... and of course a longer trailer to move the lot...
    A little less than half kidding here...

An inflatable to comfortably carry a party of 2 adults and 2 kids is going to rather pricey too.
    And a hell of a lot bigger than twelve feet!

I'd be looking for a wideish solid platform, likely fiberglass / wood, with the rowing machine (outboards) in bloody good working order...

Cheers, and Be Safe!
    Nog
    Last edited by IronNoggin; 02-11-2017 at 07:42 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

for cripe sakes kids are fine in a canoe it's the adults that are not.....
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I either own or have had small wooden row boats, Fiberglas 12 ft car toppers, aluminum 12 ft boat,
    2 frontier canoes, a 15 1/2 ft clipper canoe, and various sized inflatable rafts, both with and without
    solid floors. I've a homemade outrigger for my canoes which makes it extremely stable even with a
    rambunctious big dog or kids. The problem with canoes and bigger lakes is control in the wind when
    going slow enough for trolling flies etc. Light rubber rafts suffer the same fate. It's very frustrating
    trying to hold a course if there's any wind if using either a raft or canoe. A 12 ft boat is best, all things
    considered.

No they rock, but not tippy. 50 years of canoeing and still dry. Kids, big dogs never a problem. ((Nervous people are the. trouble.)) Borrow or rent one, take it to a good swimming hole; have some fun. Rock it, flip it over load it, had 11 people in my 17.6" clipper just playing around once. You'll see it's a lot safer than most ( who never been in one ) say it is. Leave the guys who say ya got to part you're hair down the middle to get in one on shore.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.