Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of our wildlife management plans.

Re: The future of our wildlife management plans.

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    Great numbers, Great science how did we afford to get all this accurate and concise data? When we are so short of funds could these numbers be flawed?
    That is one of the big questions that most people are asking. So many questions so little time.

CN paid for it because some of the local hunters/outfitters thought it was an important issue.

Lots of work to go, but those pushing and prodding government and industry are pointed in the right direction.

That is a big picture approach.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Do you have any idea what the incremental harvest of that change is?

Here's a hint: the 2nd deer tag is filled by less than 4% of hunters.

Explain the conservation concern of then offering a 3rd tag.

Look forward to your answer.
    if you are going to throw out percentages how about these for reasons not to do the 3 deer per year season...

How many guide outfitters fill all their annual quota's? A very small percent right? Yet you were one of the guys livid about the govt increasing their quotas even though you knew it was going to have very little impact on actual resident harvest numbers and no impact on your "conservation concern"!!

also you claim you are so far ahead of everyone on the issues of wildlife management and now all you need are the funds to get the ball rolling. Let's just say you do have all the answers, and you start trying to put more animals on the mountain like you claim, don't you think having that 3 deer limit in place could be a big limiting factor for the growth of the herd? May not be a conservation concern but sure won't help to increase pops, or do you think the 3 deer limit will help deer populations grow?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksandbeers View Post
    if you are going to throw out percentages how about these for reasons not to do the 3 deer per year season... In

How many guide outfitters fill all their annual quota's? A very small percent right? Yet you were one of the guys livid about the govt increasing their quotas even though you knew it was going to have very little impact on actual resident harvest numbers and no impact on your "conservation concern"!!

also you claim you are so far ahead of everyone on the issues of wildlife management and now all you need are the funds to get the ball rolling. Let's just say you do have all the answers, and you start trying to put more animals on the mountain like you claim, don't you think having that 3 deer limit in place could be a big limiting factor for the growth of the herd? May not be a conservation concern but sure won't help to increase pops, or do you think the 3 deer limit will help deer populations grow?
    Here there is a trophy lake above my place used to have nice big fish in it..It was ice fished by locals regular because of the big trout. A lodge lobbied for access restrictions and ice fishing closer as well reduced limit. This lake has natural spawning depending on snow run off. Because of the lack harvest do to restrictions imposed and the natural spawning a overpopulation resulted... Effectively ruining the productivity of the lake..Now it is full of skinny stunted fish...Even if that lake winter killed it would take years to recover the damage of overpopulation...This is the state of deer hunting in many places in BC
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

My question is do you all think the range can handle more deer...
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    My question is do you all think the range can handle more deer...
    I can't speak for your neck of the woods but Region 5 sure can.

If Hunters are not filling their tags is that good or bad. Nothing to harvest sounds like a bad thing to me, unless your as picky as I am.
    Not sure how to add that up.
    Give a hunter ten tags when their is only 2 animals only benefits the Banker I am thinking. Or is everyone that bad at hunting?

If Hunters are not filling their tags is that good or bad. Nothing to harvest sounds like a bad thing to me, unless your as picky as I am.
    Not sure how to add that up.
    Give a hunter ten tags when their is only 2 animals only benefits the Banker I am thinking. Or is everyone that bad at hunting?
    Nothing has changed with regards to mule deer limits. They are the species of concern.

All increased opportunity is with whitetails which is part of the southern interior mule
    deer recovery strategy.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

And that may be the problem that we are facing and as far as a strategy why is it we put a provincial bag limit in one region, we still kept the mule deer in the sights.
    If you have a predator problem and you shoot all your white tails were do they turn to... the mule deer.
    Carry on

If you have a predator problem and you shoot all your white tails were do they turn to... the mule deer.
    Carry on
    That makes about as much sense as reducing moose numbers in order to starve wolves out of an area in order to recover a declining caribou population.
    The wolves are still going to eat something.....a good chance it will be caribou.
    Science told someone that might work.
    Dead wolves would have been the solution....no scientific study needed to arrive at that conclusion.

And that may be the problem that we are facing and as far as a strategy why is it we put a provincial bag limit in one region, we still kept the mule deer in the sights.
    Carry on
    Science shows the opposite.

Cougars supplement their diets with whitetails and don't decline as they should with mule deer populations, and then further decimate mule deer populations.

Read this: http://www.sgrc.selkirk.ca/bioatlas/...ion_Growth.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !