Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of our wildlife management plans.

Re: The future of our wildlife management plans.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Yeah maybe I'm out of whack. I can still go to Aberdeen, Pinaus, Silver Hills, upper Kettle and still see the sign I did 10-15 years ago and get my meat, and in the last 5 years have collected my two largest racks ever. but maybe its just me.

What has changed is the impact of resource extraction. Eliminate that and all this chatter is moot
    You should have been around more 10-15 years . Ask around .... Not even close .

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    no it doesn't. In fact it has negative effect long term on adjacent areas. It is just like what is posted here regular about whitetails. The burn supports a greater population of ungulates which translates to greater population of predators...predators must disperse due to social structure so adjacent poorer habitat has a greater proportional number of predators then would be pre burn..these adjacent areas suffer greater predation then if they had not been near a burn.
    Thats funny, its how game has been managed for thousands of years, your saying what....hunt the burns hard? to keep predators down?

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    You should have been around more 10-15 years . Ask around .... Not even close .
    As someone who has hunted part of those areas for over 20 years off and on I would agree deer numbers have been better in the past.

I've hunted those area's for over 40 years, also agree not even close, I still fill the freezer but dont see anywhere near the game I used to. Moose, the Moose pop was poor years ago, rare to see one, then they started to take off and they were everywhere, things were looking good, now,,,,back to where they were 30-40 years ago, poor.

338win mag, WildOne , Thanks for agreeing , The point is the management of wild life has gotten worse and throwing more money into the existing train of thought (science based?) isn't working . And when there is fairly abundant game the FN converge , set up camp and kill everything within rifle shot .ie silver star , whatshan, pratt lake etc etc etc . I don't recall seeing reefer units set up in those area's 20+ years ago .... but what do I know ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    338win mag, WildOne , Thanks for agreeing , The point is the management of wild life has gotten worse and throwing more money into the existing train of thought (science based?) isn't working . And when there is fairly abundant game the FN converge , set up camp and kill everything within rifle shot .ie silver star , whatshan, pratt lake etc etc etc . I don't recall seeing reefer units set up in those area's 20+ years ago .... but what do I know ?
    With the shoestring budget that wildlife managers have in BC, they can't actually make more wildlife. They can only manage licensed hunters.

On the bright side, some First Nation Bands have taken a huge step forward and have approached Wildlife managers and have asked what steps they can take.

Lets hope that spreads around the province.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Would like to see a pic of one of those reefer trucks

Comparing todays numbers to those of decades earlier won't garner any interest in opening the wallet and spending hard earned cash. Folks live today and look forward to tomorrow
    Could hunting be easier? Sure
    Could game be richer near to the urban area so hunters didn't have to spend $$ to put meat in the freezer? Sure
    Do I want to give more dollars to someone else to squander as they see fit in the hopes of cutting my DpK in half? NO! Would rather fund my own foolish exploits
    I know, things like DpK and b/d or d/f ratios are just alternative facts
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

All this talk about better game management and I bet the number that have actually sat a read what the Gov't has for management policies (yes, Dorothy, in print also) can be counted on one foot.
    Then there are the alternative management plans created by NGOs that pretty much mirror the Gov't papers.
    Makes for some dry reading, but........
    Might suggest browsing through those and trying to pique out a fault.
    Last edited by boxhitch; 02-13-2017 at 04:47 PM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    With the shoestring budget that wildlife managers have in BC, they can't actually make more wildlife. They can only manage licensed hunters.

On the bright side, some First Nation Bands have taken a huge step forward and have approached Wildlife managers and have asked what steps they can take.

Lets hope that spreads around the province.
    I hope that happens too (FN )
    You are right about managing hunters as well ... look at the other differences from a few years ago ... the hunting season pretty much ended in Oct for mulies and mid Nov for WT . Now the seasons go well into Dec . Pretty hard not to get a deer or two when they are rutting , add that to the number of bowhunters that take advantage on that season ... also the any deer seasons , youth etc . The WT probably cant even stand this pressure for long esp IF we have another wicked winter/spring like the year FisherD refers to (96?)
    I realize that I am speaking on a local level and it may be entirely different in reg 5 etc .

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Would like to see a pic of one of those reefer trucks

Comparing todays numbers to those of decades earlier won't garner any interest in opening the wallet and spending hard earned cash. Folks live today and look forward to tomorrow
    Could hunting be easier? Sure
    Could game be richer near to the urban area so hunters didn't have to spend $$ to put meat in the freezer? Sure
    Do I want to give more dollars to someone else to squander as they see fit in the hopes of cutting my DpK in half? NO! Would rather fund my own foolish exploits
    I know, things like DpK and b/d or d/f ratios are just alternative facts
    Now that I know you a) don't get out much b) have your head in the sand c) a & b
    I bother responding again