Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying in. Planes, options and costs

Flying in. Planes, options and costs

I know that much of the info I'm after can be found in pieces on this site however I thought it may be beneficial to have the most current information all in one thread.

I'd like to get information to plan my first fly in trip. Things I am curious about are as follows:

-locations within BC and Yukon to fly out of
    -types of planes available
    -payloads of those planes
    -what plane is suitable for what species hunt
    -most recent costs associated

To to give you an idea what I'm leaning towards. I'm looking to do a stone sheep hunt with one other person. Thought a beaver would be sufficient for this.

Looking forward to some real world scenarios. Thanks gang!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Flying in. Planes, options and costs

First thing is the expense to get up north from where you live. I'm 23hr from Dease Lake and own a pick up, so theres 12-1300 in fuel to get there and back. Depending on who you fly with, how far you fly and how many trips out it takes, the flying bill can be huge. For two guys a Cessna 180 would get you in I think. You wanna land on a lake and hike in, land in a valley and hike? Bush plane and float plane would be a factor to price maybe. If you do like us, you shoot two huge moose at the lake when hanging for a day before the plane and causing two extra flights out with the meat and antlers, oooops the bill just got bigger. Now, you need to buy a Kimber MA, Swaro scope, good spotter, lots of Kuiu stuff etc. Dude, you just blew $10,000. Now go and enjoy, it's like crack, very addicting!! Can't wait till August!

Just a word of warning, had a buddy head up there this year near the BC Yukon border. He had planned his trip, printed out google maps, topos, etc and when he arrived on the dock to fly out the pilot said I can't take you into that lake. He found out after questioning that the guide had a client on that lake and because the guide outfitter owned the charter/plane company, he would not fly you into any lake where he had clients. From what I understand, the only planes flying hunters are now owned by the outfitters. Have a back up lake or two in case you are "denied" access.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

I have never found it that expensive once you have all your gear. Have flown in quite a few times with Alpine Aviation, and never had a problem. Janet, the manager has always treated us very well. Getting there can be the most expensivve part of the trip. Had it lucky because three of my trips in I was able to fly West Jet out of Vancouver to Whitehorse for $289 Return. Couz picked me up at the airport and took me to Alpines Float base about 5 min drive away. But being spoiled ended and a few times having to drive up recently and that gets expensive and time consuming. Have flown on their 180, 260, and the Beaver. Usually with a couple guys., but sometimes just two of us. Splitting the costs, never has it cost me more than $500 for the flights in and out.

My partner and myself are setup with all the gear. We've done Successful goat and alpine mulie hunts in the past. Just in the process of trying to shed weight where it makes sense.

Off the top of my head it seems like there are 4 main spots to fly from in the north.

-dease lake
    -muncho lake
    -atlin
    -Whitehorse

Am I missing any?

Just as an example can someone estimate how much the total round trip flight cost would be to fly from say tattoga to cold fish?

If there's two guys and you're going light enough to hike a Beaver would take you plus anyone hanging around the dock. They've probably got a 2000 lb useful load. I'm pretty sure I've flown in a bunch of gear, pilot, two other guys and a canoe ion the floats of a Beaver. Can't help with current costs.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

As another option, Villers air flies directly from the Fort Nelson airport. He flies clients to guides often but does take residents. I chatted with him (name escapes me) last fall.....he will fly until mid oct/weather dependent and his prices were good to get into sheep areas. Few different planes but the bush strip will decided if that plane can land/take off. Just throwing another idea out there, might be worth the while to call them. Cheers.

Hmmm non turbo dehavilland beaver..1300 pound payload .
    Cheers
    Srupp

Fly from Tattoga as well. Best option Dease way right now

I would give a call to Blacksheep aviation in the Yukon. I thought they would fly from Watson lake into BC.