Thread: Winter Kill??

Winter Kill??

The snow depth in the West Kootenay is incredible. Supposedly the last time it was this deep was 1912. I'm anticipating a high winter mortality for ungulates. Any disagree with this bleak outlook?
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Winter Kill??

Could be bad for sure... I think if it continues, and stays deep for a long period of time, it most certainly will be bleak survival rates. Worst case scenario, it warms up, and refreezes a thick crust layer in the snowpack, and makes it super tough to paw through to get at their food supply on the winter ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodd View Post
    Could be bad for sure... I think if it continues, and stays deep for a long period of time, it most certainly will be bleak survival rates. Worst case scenario, it warms up, and refreezes a thick crust layer in the snowpack, and makes it super tough to paw through to get at their food supply on the winter ranges.
    also crust on snow helps preds get around easier

I have to agree with Rodd. Not long ago it wasn't too deep, something like 80% snowpack. Recently it's gotten a lot deeper, but in the valleys we had a thaw before the last dump. If it leaves quickly, it may not have as bad an impact. IMO. Warmer weather on the way in my part of the woods.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

Lots in the Ek too... But... Snow is up to my horses bellies last night (4:00) but by 07:30 this morning, the snowpack has settled 10 to 12" because of above freezing temps and some decent wind... Hopefully it continues.
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

near 4 feet on my roof here Rock, I know because my car shed roof was inches away from crushing the wife convertible. 15 hours on a loader in a snowstorm then shovel soon as I got home. Yesterday was a hairball.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Lots of guys are comparing this to the bad winter of `96. All I know is that it`s giving me steady employment. I like plowing,people are complete stupid assholes for the most part but I have a nice warm machine.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Yes we have some tough conditions right now. But thinking back to the nasty winter of 96/97, that winter came exceptionally early and never let up. This winter started very easy and it's we are now
    entering the second week in February.

Im sure well lose above average ungulates but it won't come close to the winter of 96/97 IMO

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....