Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting truck ready for BC - vehicle mods

Re: Getting truck ready for BC - vehicle mods

A good come a long and snatch blocks are handy even if u have a winch.I always pack one of these in the truck and our sxs.A good tool kit with extras like spare hoses,clamps,duct tape,bailing wire etc. is a must have for B.C. if u are part Macgyver

As long as 4x4 works and the heater blows hot you have everything you need. All that other stuff you have is useful but not needed.
    " Size doesn't matter 'til the freezer is full!" - Dad

" If you buy a new gun, I get a new kitchen!" - my lovely wife

Sako Finnlight 300 WSM
    Rem 700 CDL 25.06 Rem

Ya know what sucks? Trying to get your 100lb winch and cradle into the inconveniently located receiver. I watched a buddy slip under his truck and break a couple ribs with a receiver mounted winch.
    I've run into stuff with both stock and aftermarket bumpers. Aftermarket are better for preserving your truck. I noticed zero difference in mileage from swapping bumpers.

I keep a hilift, a shovel, a ton of tools, a tire kit (viair compressor, plugs, vice grips, valve stems), straps, and a come along in the truck at a minimum. Plus survival stuff, fire makings, food, change of gear, etc.
    When I'm expecting to be beating on the truck, I bring a whole lot more. But I demand a lot from my equipment, my buddies will tell you that if you want mechanical equipment tested to the limits, I'm the guy to do it. As a result, I carry a lot of tools, and am pretty Ok at fixing things, or getting out of shitty situations.

At a time like this, you don't want the winch to be in the box of the truck, you want it to be on the front of the truck. Water was 8" deep in the morning. It came over the hood on the way out, fortunately it only soaked the air filter, and didn't hydro the motor.

Last edited by Squamch; 02-12-2017 at 08:38 AM.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

First you want to make sure your truck will pass inspection, then worry about mods.
    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Sorry Ozone you are correct

I have an aftermarket winch bumper on front and a small receiver mounted winch on cradle for the rear and think it is the perfect set up. I am considering mounting a bracket inside the box that I could use to attach the smaller winch for hauling big bears, elk, moose etc into the box. Getting older and working smarter, maybe. Otherwise your list looks good to me.

"When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Hermit, I just read your signature. I would have paid well for a t shirt with that on it 15 years ago!
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

I wouldn't leave the pavement without a winch, your truck will last a lot longer with one! I've never had a receiver type and have winched myself backwards many times, it's all in the way you mount it and how you do your rigging. I've got a Warn M12000 on my truck and the winch alone weighs 136#, a couple snatch blocks weigh dick all! K

Most people that risk traveling the almighty back roads of BC, in the shoulder and winter seasons,

invest in one of these... http://www.petersenshunting.com/whee...hroamer-xv-lt/
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Or you could just get it inspected and throw a BC plate on it.
    Spend the money you would waste on expensive and for the most part unnecessary vehicle mods on a good ATV.
    The only thing a hunting truck really needs is good tires. Everything else is extra perfume on a pig.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambor View Post
    • moved outside by 6cm running boards. They were so close to the cab, i could barely put 3rd of a foot on the running board. Now I can put my whole foot on.

So I'm not the only who HATED that issue lol...I moved mine out as well, dealership asked why and then said I'm the only person he's ever heard complain about it lol....some scrap 1/4" angle iron and 30 mins is a heck of a lot of cheaper than aftermarket boards....they also removed the driver side grab bar, hate that too, just a penny pinching move

you sound quite prepared already...from your list, all you really need is a radio...I also carry a lithium ion jump starter, very small and easy to fit under a seat, haven't used it on myself yet but peace of mind knowing I have it and easier to help others out as well
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster