Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bunnies. Bearish to the LmL

Bunnies. Bearish to the LmL

Hey guys,

Looking to pick off my first animal, was wondering if anyone had any tips etc to help me find a bunny or two. Finally got a 22, have a buddy that wants to go out with me... It's just that neither of us knows where abouts to head?

Any tips are greatly appreciated, and if you'd like to tag along looking for bunnies I'm pretty green and would never turn down anyone looking to help out and get out for a trip!

Thanks in advance!
    ~Wes

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bunnies. Bearish to the LmL

Hares are hard to find in the winter, at least from my experience...their tracks and sign however, are not hard to find, replanted cutbblocks with lots of alder growth is where I see the most sign...you will find their tracks agglomerate especially around places with alder where the weight of the snow has brought the branches down to their level..have seen a few in the winter so not impossible, good luck..

Most important thing I've found for this time of year is the right elevation. Once you find that, you will find tracks everywere. From there go slow and use your eyes, they will be sitting in plain site. Also a good dog helps

Last edited by Trojans16; 02-23-2017 at 09:27 PM.

I haven't hunted them in decades, but when I was a kid I used to hunt them when it was really cold in PG. I found they stayed very, very still, relying on camouflage and preserving warmth. Even a snotty nosed, freezing kid with his dad's moccasins and his grandmother's Cooey .22 could connect.

I don't see a lot of sign around Squamish. Say tons of rabbits up Placer Rd (btwn Hope and Princeton) a couple years back.

Good luck. Please update us with your progress.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    I haven't hunted them in decades, but when I was a kid I used to hunt them when it was really cold in PG. I found they stayed very, very still, relying on camouflage and preserving warmth. Even a snotty nosed, freezing kid with his dad's moccasins and his grandmother's Cooey .22 could connect.

I don't see a lot of sign around Squamish. Say tons of rabbits up Placer Rd (btwn Hope and Princeton) a couple years back.

Good luck. Please update us with your progress.
    Placer lk. Road/ copper creek Rd. Just east of eastgate ( manning park) was a great bunny area, this has changed dramatically in the last couple years, last August spent two evenings hunting them without seeing a single one, it was previously almost a guarantee that you'd bag at least four or five at dusk. Must be at low end of the 7year cycle.
    Paysaten rd. Was a little more productive, but not anything spectacular.

Trojan that looks awesome! Cant wait till my pup is old enough to take out with me! Thanks for the location tips will hopefully be heading out in the next two weeks or so! Will update you guys as i progress!
    ~Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Trojans16 View Post
    Most important thing I've found for this time of year is the right elevation. Once you find that, you will find tracks everywere. From there go slow and use your eyes, they will be sitting in plain site. Also a good dog helps

ha ha ha

That's one happy dog

I took one in September up Gold Bridge way but last month I was camping in Manning and they were all about; but since that is off limits, I would agree that heading just east to 8-4 or 8-5 would be a good spot also.

Hare are like Olympic athletes, so their meat is super lean - chew and spice to taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Trojans16 View Post

Awesome dog!

You can also try up the Pasayten. I've seen lots up there in years past.