Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spotting Scopes

Re: Spotting Scopes

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    Another thing I will mention is the extra zoom is often useless in the field. I have a zeiss 18-45x65 and I find the image is often better around 30x.

I Have friends with Swarovski 20-60x85 and on a clear bright day the image is staggering at full zoom. But if there are any heat waves or it's overcast the image is no good a full zoom, it looks a lot nicer around 40 power because of the bigger exit pupil and less mirage.
    I say you're bang on with that comment.I am a Swarovski fan and once tested two different eyepieces on the same scope side by side, the 20 to 60 and the wide-angle 25 to 50. I found that the wide-angle on 50 power was much clearer, and the extra 10 power going up to 60 power on the 20 to 60 eyepiece gave no advantage at all. Interestingly the wide-angle provides a much improved field of zoom and you actually have a greater field of view on 25 power with the wide-angle eyepiece then you can on 20 power with the 20 to 60 eyepiece.

Not sure if that logic applies to vortex scopes or if there are different eyepieces for them, but I do agree that highest magnification often Isnt fall that useful in the field.

TJ

I took a 65 razor with me last year into the mountains. I was very happy with it. Weight:size:$$$$ seemed like the ideal combo. I compared it to a swaro at the store and couldn't tell the difference from one to the other. On a normal sunny day.

Should've mentioned too, that it's been my experience to buy the best you can first time around. so if you're trying to decide between the lower or higher level scope, go with the higher one and you'll be happy you did in the long run.

As mentioned by a few other guys. I also picked up the older model razor 65 for $1200. Only done a bit of testing but very happy so far.

I can vouch for the vortex razor 65mm. Picked mine up 3 years ago and have absolutely no regrets. for the price, it is extremely highest quality. The only thing that would top it would be swarovski but you definitely pay for it. The vortex warranty is killer from what ive heard, Never needed to use it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberjack View Post
    I say you're bang on with that comment.I am a Swarovski fan and once tested two different eyepieces on the same scope side by side, the 20 to 60 and the wide-angle 25 to 50. I found that the wide-angle on 50 power was much clearer, and the extra 10 power going up to 60 power on the 20 to 60 eyepiece gave no advantage at all. Interestingly the wide-angle provides a much improved field of zoom and you actually have a greater field of view on 25 power with the wide-angle eyepiece then you can on 20 power with the 20 to 60 eyepiece.

Not sure if that logic applies to vortex scopes or if there are different eyepieces for them, but I do agree that highest magnification often Isnt fall that useful in the field.

TJ

YUP!! If you have a choice of eye pieces on the Vortex go for the wide angle zoom.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeez88 View Post
    I can vouch for the vortex razor 65mm. Picked mine up 3 years ago and have absolutely no regrets. for the price, it is extremely highest quality. The only thing that would top it would be swarovski but you definitely pay for it. The vortex warranty is killer from what ive heard, Never needed to use it myself.
    There are several high end scopes besides Swaro that beat the Vortex Razor IMO. Most cost a lot more but Leica, Howa, are the first two i'd name.

Okay made the final decision. Vortex Razor HD 10-48X65. I found last year's model at sportsmans wearhouse and after some discount codes etc got it for $950 CAD. If anyone else wants one that's 50% less than this year's model. You need to have a CC with a US address though. I had to call the bank and temporarily change my address for it to work. Then shipped it to Sumas and will go pick it up when it arrives. Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's greatly appreciated.

Nice job man, sounds like a sweet deal and I guarantee you will be thrilled with it.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by TARCHER View Post
    There are several high end scopes besides Swaro that beat the Vortex Razor IMO. Most cost a lot more but Leica, Howa, are the first two i'd name.
    My brother has the Vortex HD angled 16-48x65 which we picked up for $800 cdn and I recently purchased the Leica angled 25-50x65 with the 1.8 doubler, and a Leica case for $3100.00cdn, so it will be very interesting to compare the two side by side on our fly in sheep hunt this year.

I compared the Swarovski many times to the Leica but for me I just prefer the Leica glass, same as the binoculars, I was just at the SCI convention in Vegas and compared the 10x42 Leica HD-B to the Swarovski EL Range 10x42 side by side at one booth and I find the Leica glass clearer and sharper every time.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America