Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BC Lake trolling rod/reel setup

Re: BC Lake trolling rod/reel setup

Great info guys! I don't have much big lake BC trolling experience but used to fish lakers in northern SK. Don't be scared to try a 4-5" spoon. I used to fish with a bunch of older guys that only used Len Thompson 5 of diamonds... I always thought they we're just old school and didn't feel like changing lures but often they out fished me. Haha. Also, if using braid I always run a mono shock tippet (20' or more). That little bit of extra stretch seemed to help keep hooks from pulling out prematurely.
    Just picked up a skookum new fish finder so going to be targeting some of those deep water fish (lakers) on Shuswap and Adams this summer, if anyone has any tips shoot me a message!

Hmmm Sheesh. .havnt done this type of fishing in 10 years?
    I have a large assortment of Apex lures..and some Mac Squid plugs from Okanagan lake fishing 35 years ago..on my tinny I have a clamp on scotty down rigger. .but my balls are smaller..lol..
    Can you fish squids and apex off a flasher or merely use the down rigger for depth accuracy?
    Want to get out to Quesnel once again..last trip we slayed them..however 10 years and Polly mine event have come and gone..
    Cheers
    Steven

Ah the ole Macs squid! Hammered a 28# bull trout on one in 91', still have a couple that fish well. A plug or apex behind a flasher doesn't work, too much drag that stops the flasher from rotating. Like Salty said, run a dummy flasher off the ball and plug or why 5 ft above.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..