Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Tent

Re: Backpacking Tent

Quote Originally Posted by Moe.JKU View Post
    I like my eureka 2 man tent for 150 bucks its light, sets up easy, and has lasted a lot of trips.
    I have an old eureka A frame style tent. It was light 15 years ago. Now its really heavy. It's held up to A LOT of shitty weather, snow, rain, wind...the works. It's a 2 person but it sucks for two people.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
    Using the MSR elixir 3, just over 5lbs, put into a different dry sack and poles packed separately, great size for 1-2 people or bring your pup! It's nice having two doors and vestibules, also use the MSR fury, 4 season, it sucked with the one door and vestibule for two guys!!
    As much as I like my marmot tents quality and functionality, it's a little on the heavy side...for backpack hunting for elk, goat, mule deer, after reviewing a lot of tents in the $300 price range, I'm leaning toward the MSR Elixer 2, for sleeping solo in it....how's the quality of this tent??

No experience with the Elixir, but I've been very happy with the quality of my MSR Hubba Hubba tent, along with other MSR gear (stoves/cookware/water filter/storage). I've also only heard great things about their customer service.

If you're looking for lightweight 2man tent for solo use, you might want to check out the MEC Spark 2. It's $360, so might be out of the price range, but significantly lighter than the Elixir tents.

I just picked up a Stratospire 1 from Tarptent for my solo backpacking shelter. Remove the inside nest and it will easily fit 2 with gear comfortably
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Looked at the Spark in MEC today. They only had the solo version on display, but it seemed fairly decent for a 3 season, other than tight dimensions. I'd definitely get the 2 person version for solo ventures and short 2 person trips.

Was a little disappointed with the MSR Elixir loaned to me in supposed to be brand new shape. Came to me without seam sealer and instructions said it needs seam sealing. Proved to be true as I watched rain drops form on the inside of the shell, drip onto the mesh vents and then migrate through dripping on the bed roll. Pure anguish
    Not sure if it was supposed to come with sealer, but should have. But the main point is how hard would it have been to seam seal at the factory like so many other tents.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Was a little disappointed with the MSR Elixir loaned to me in supposed to be brand new shape. Came to me without seam sealer and instructions said it needs seam sealing. Proved to be true as I watched rain drops form on the inside of the shell, drip onto the mesh vents and then migrate through dripping on the bed roll. Pure anguish
    Not sure if it was supposed to come with sealer, but should have. But the main point is how hard would it have been to seam seal at the factory like so many other tents.
    Exactly - What the Hell - No Tent used out in any fowl weather is Any good with the seams sealed ! RJ

IF, a person wants a truly reliable tent in BC/AB mountains, hunting or not, the practical approach is to pay the cost of a REALLY GOOD 4-season mountain tent and seamseal it as well as practicing at home until you can erect it in moments.

Then, have extra cordage, pegs and fabric tent anchors so you will be protected in even the worst weather events you encounter.

I see little reason to buy anything other than one of the ORIGINAL Calgary-made Integral Designs tents, now difficult to find in "new" condition or a Hilleberg. I like the quality and design of these better than any others I have used and trust my Hille. Saivo in ANY conditions.

Just don't spend the $$$$ on booze for several trips and you can afford a tent like this!

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    I see little reason to buy anything other than one of the ORIGINAL Calgary-made Integral Designs tents, now difficult to find in "new" condition or a Hilleberg. I like the quality and design of these better than any others I have used and trust my Hille. Saivo in ANY conditions.

Just don't spend the $$$$ on booze for several trips and you can afford a tent like this!
    I just ordered a Seek Outside Redcliff for our first family hunting trip this fall and likely to be the shelter of choice for our goat and maybe sheep if the hunting gods feel sorry for us trip in the East Koots this fall.

https://seekoutside.com/redcliff/

Funny thing is I contemplated selling my Hilleberg Anjan 2 to fund this purchase then thought "What would Dewey say?" and chose to not sell it!

That was my first time pitching it, have gotten the hang of it since. I knew where I was going the weather was going to be decent and figured I'd learn on the fly. But will say, there is nothing wrong with pitching your shelters every month or so to make sure you know what you are doing when the time comes. I may head over the school field today and practice pitching a few in the snow. Seeing how Vancouver refuses to ban snow.

Anyways...back to the important stuff...

All (sort of) kidding aside another friend talked me into keeping it...or at the very least selling it to him for the same deal I got on it. I am already glad I chose to not sell it.

Got a fantastic deal on it as it was a returned item and saved about $300.

Not a Hille 4 season, but certainly the most bomber three season tent you'll find.

In the end, my decision to keep it came down to safety. Such as being 2 or more days from being able to get myself out or some type of delayed evac situation. I want to know whatever pickle I find myself in I will have a shelter to stay safe and rest in regardless of all but straight from hell weather.

I've become a huge fan of the floorless shelters and certainly seems the experience of others is they can take heinous weather well. I've been in some pretty good winds and all was well. But nothing that makes you wonder if you'll actually get blown right off the mountain.

But I have a family that needs me to come home. Hell, they may even want me to come home!

So the decision would be made to take the Hilleberg based on that.

I finally had to cut our the booze about a year and half ago. Maybe that is why I can buy so much gear now? Well maybe I am buying as much gear, just paying for it on the spot not loading up the CC.
    Last edited by Lastcar; 03-05-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Anybody have a oware tent or tarp, here is the link look to be not a bad tent http://shop.bivysack.com/Pyramid-and...d-Tarps_c4.htm