Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Tent

Re: Backpacking Tent

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post
    do you know what the tent you got from super store is called?
    its just their own no name ones. (terra gear) it was 35 buck reg. then each week at end of summer the dropped by 50% each time, till it hit 10 buck. also got a bunch of the ground pads at 1.50 each, bought all they had left in stock.
    it kept me dry in down pours and wind to. and never spayed it for waterproofing yet. for just a basic reg tent, i think their just fine.
    ive been on back alpine hunts with it and other with hi end tents. they were cold from wind, i wasnt.

i believe this is mine, or verry similar

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0765443_1.jpg  

go online Can tire has some nice tents on sale

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post
    I use a North face rock 22 2 man tent for my backpack hunts. I leave the tent body at home and just use the fly, poles, and footprint. Comes in at about 3 pounds. Two doors, tons of room for two when you don't use the tent body. Not a bad set up for a little more than $100

Quote Originally Posted by DStewart View Post
    I have also been looking into some backpacking options and settled down on the two you have mentioned. If you're willing to spend the money I would definitely go as small and light as possible. The superstore tents can be a great option for summer trips (small, cheap, and light), but bring rain or wind into the mix and you will wish you spent he money. MEC is obviously great for there warranty, but I would also look into some companies like marmot and north face as they have some good light weight options
    Yup, I have a Marmot 3 man tent, it was around $350, very good quality, am happy with it..

I've had the talus 3 for a few years it's been pretty good. I spent around 30 nights in it the year i got it.

I have the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1 with Mountain Glow Technology..

The LED lighting is really cool, definitely recommend it!

Absolutely love the design...

Oh and 2lbs 4 oz..!

The UL 3 would make a great option...

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/copperspurul1mtnglo2016

Last edited by Ohwildwon; 02-05-2017 at 05:33 PM.
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

One nice thing about the MSR is that you can add the Gear Shed which gives you a bunch of extra space so that, for a small weight increase (less than 2 lbs), you effectively double your tent space...enough room for two to sleep with plenty of space for gear in the "shed".

I can only comment on the Hubba Hubba specifically. It's what I use for backpacking with my wife. For the two of us it's perfect, but you gotta be okay with getting close to whoever you're sharing that tent with. If you want a little more space/comfort, then certainly go with a 3 man. We keep our gear in the vestibules and while they're not huge, they fit our packs and boots. The gear shed is an option, but we just carry a tarp for a front porch/more room if we like. It's lighter and much more versatile. I would definitely recommend making your way to MEC or a similar store if possible with your son and try jumping in a couple tents to get a sense for the space/design you like. Also, check out the Altitude Sports website out of Quebec if you're considering a MSR tent. Sometimes they run pretty good deals on them.

I use a 2-man from Alps Mountaineering as a one man, with only one person all your gear(minus the food/toiletries) fits inside. It does have two decent sized vestibules but if there is snow or recent rain everything stored outside gets damp. I use the vestibule for things that aren't affected by moisture- water filter/water bladder, hatchet, river/camp sandals.