Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Tent

Backpacking Tent

As the title says I am looking for a couple of answers on backpacking tents. I am hoping to start taking my 12 year old son out for some weekend backpack hunts. I am new at the whole backpacking thing so I will need to get some new ish gear ie TENT.

First question should I be looking at a 2 man or a three as I hear that 2 man tents are cramped for two men?

I think I have nailed it down to either MSR HUBBA HUBBA or a MEC spark or volt any reviews or thoughts?

We normally stay in a wall tent but my son really wants to start hiking in and camping and hunting from camp on foot. He really likes Meateater I think that's where his curiosity comes from either way I am in, now just got to get the right equipment to make is safe and comfortable for the boy.

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Backpacking Tent

all good quality tents, i like 2 man tents,not touching walls,anuff room for big tall guy, couple pounds heavier,(every lb counts)lol i no guys buy a cheep tent every year and take turns packing it,i like my own sleeping space.i had a couple msr one maker's,good light but very tight,could not sit up in one,all things that seem important(er) with age.lol go getem

ive never found any tent yet that fits as they say for how many. i always buy next ones up. fort me a personal tent is a 2 man.
    funny thing is my 10 buck special from super store has outlasted some of my 300 buck tents..lol, im not saying they compare to others. but for 10 buck and lasted me about 4 years now, not bad. folds down into my pocket to.

do you know what the tent you got from super store is called?

I have a Hubba Hubba and no complaints...for one man. Like some others have said a two man tent is tight for two people, it's important that you not touch the side of the tent when sleeping as the condensation on the tent wall will drip on to your sleeping bag. With two people in a small tent there will be a surprising amount of condensation even with the vents open.
    If you keep all of your gear outside you may get away with it but the vestibules are pretty small so don't hold a lot and I think you would have to bring a Sil tarp or something like that to cover your gear because two men in there will fill the space.
    That being said it also depends on time of year and weather. if it's middle of summer and you can predict that it will stay warm and dry then a two man tent would work fine.
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post
    do you know what the tent you got from super store is called?
    Too CHEAP a Tent ! RJ

like others have stated I would go with a 3 person for two people. my daughter and I went out last youth season and both of us slept in my Big Agnes UL 2 but it is too small for two people. Go 3 person and look at the lighter options, the tents you mentioned should all be fine, lots of other options as well out there.
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

3 person for sure. I would look at a floorless shelter too, much easier to deal with wet boots and shoes and a lot more room too.

Quote Originally Posted by Useyourfeet View Post
    3 person for sure. I would look at a floorless shelter too, much easier to deal with wet boots and shoes and a lot more room too.
    thought of this as well but wondering if critters would make there way in...? Im getting the Stratospire 1 so I have this option but would hate to come back to camp and see my down bag with chew holes in it lol
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

I have also been looking into some backpacking options and settled down on the two you have mentioned. If you're willing to spend the money I would definitely go as small and light as possible. The superstore tents can be a great option for summer trips (small, cheap, and light), but bring rain or wind into the mix and you will wish you spent he money. MEC is obviously great for there warranty, but I would also look into some companies like marmot and north face as they have some good light weight options