Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Insurance

Re: Pet Insurance

Hmm our last lab tore her knee..no insurance.. $1700...6 months later her other knee went.. $1700..no insurance..paid up..then Morgan developed rare face cancer and rapid deterioration..vet went on about $15,000 might give her a extra 6 months..we humanely had her put down as no significant improvement in her quality and length of life was assured..

Love our current hair child Ebony..no insurance..injury or illness..costs will be a factor..
    Srupp

We just picked up are chocolate lab today! Hes 8 weeks going to be a great hunting dpg already knows sit and house trained! We also are going to be going with trupanion

Quote Originally Posted by Frango View Post
    Spending thousands on trying to save your pet is certainly your option. Don't let your emotion and a vet clinic make your decision .
    And that's exactly the reason that many take out Pet Insurance. It removes the worry / concern / emotions and then it's simply a "what's best for the dog" decision.
    In our situation, if the treatment is successful then we can hope for maybe 2 more good years which is basically what we expected from her in any event.
    Everyone's comfort level is different, some may consider $1,500 the max., others $20,000 or more, I'm certainly not going to criticize either.

We have PC Pet insurance, They pay 80%. $200 deductible. Haven't had to use it yet, but will be happy I have it If I ever have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Pet insurance is a scam imo. Your far better off collecting your own cash for a rainy day , when your dog may possibly need help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    I have a basic emergency care with, 24petwatch, for my dog and thinking of increasing it..

looking at $5000 with max $500 deductible, have to get a quote for the cost...

Any thoughts on pet watch, how do costs go up after your first claim?
    Had a lengthy reply done but it disappeared. Am at the cabin with Internet service that sometimes is iffy so I'll try again.
    pet watch is with Northridge, a good Company but no local reps. When I deal with Trupanion I deal with North Van.
    Pet watch offers a number of alternatives for limits, coverages, deductibles etc. as does Trupanion. Petwatch is 80% coinsurance, Trupanion allows you to select coinsurance options. One concern with pet watch is it has policy limits, Trupanion is limitless. You can blow through $5,000 pretty quickly. Trupanion does not increase premiums due to your claims, not sure @ pet watch. Pet watch does include a number of extra coverages like Boarding, cremation lost pet and such. I believe you can get similar with Trupanion but you have to buy an upgraded policy.
    I couldn't find the pet watch policy wording so can't offer an educated comment on that.
    Trupanion has lower rates for us in Hope than we did in Vancouver due to lower Vet fees here - nice gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Mist View Post
    Pet insurance is a scam imo. Your far better off collecting your own cash for a rainy day , when your dog may possibly need help.
    I'm not going to bother replying other than to say that for us it's provided a level of security in the event of a catastrophic loss and ultimately we have received more in claim payments than we have paid in premiums.
    "Scam", whatever.

IG, your story would be the rare one in terms of collecting more claim payments then making premiums. Otherwise every insurance company would be broke and not profitable.... so yes, its a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Mist View Post
    IG, your story would be the rare one in terms of collecting more claim payments then making premiums. Otherwise every insurance company would be broke and not profitable.... so yes, its a scam.
    With logic like that, then ALL forms of insurance would be a "scam." The basic concept of Insurance is that "The premiums of the many pay the losses of the few."
    I would assume with your opinion of Insurance that you don't carry any insurance other than what you are compelled to by Law, such as the bare minimum on your autos? To do otherwise would make you a hypocrite at best, a participant in a "scam" at worst.
    Insurance is there for the large, possibly catastrophic losses, let's you sleep better at night.

Insurance is both good and bad.
    In the short term it helps with costs but in the long term keeps prices artificially high.

Insurance is a bad business concept that is contributing to sky rocketing prices of services and devalues tangible goods.
    Everything becomes replaceable.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach