Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEWBIE!! any helpfully advice or tips on scouting

Re: NEWBIE!! any helpfully advice or tips on scouting

thank you guys so much ..i guess i got more research and reading to do

Region 2 is blacktail country. In my opinion the hardest of the deer species to see on a regular basis, but for me, very rewarding to pursue. Region 3 will offer you better opportunities to see deer. Spend some time exploring the saddles between two mountains/ridges…they act as funnels for traveling animals. As Brian mentioned earlier 10% of the terrain will have 90% of the game. Bowhunting is a game of sitting and waiting for the most part. If that doesn't suit you best to get a rifle and start walking and when you walk try to keep the wind in your face… One of the members on here started a website called "how to hunt". By all means check him out on youtube. His knowledge/tips will give you information that many of us have spent decades learning. Hunting is a passion for many of us here on HBC, Good luck and keep in mind the best thing about hunting is being able to spend time outdoors in beautiful BC!

I would not say bowhunting is about sitting and waiting. Many bow hunters still hunt or spot & stalk just as much as a rifle hunter. Yes bowhunting is close range but there is many options to achieve this not just sitting. Some species and conditions sitting is the best choice other times it is a poor choice

In my opinion it is the species and terrain that make the decisions on how I hunt weapon is the last factor

that was my next question !!!! what you think would be more proactive treestand/groundblind or spot and stalk but i see the topic is coming up already !

Quote Originally Posted by jrbchunter View Post
    that was my next question !!!! what you think would be more proactive treestand/groundblind or spot and stalk but i see the topic is coming up already !
    Learn to be versatile and adapt don't rely on one method. They all take time to learn and have different challenges and advantages. Being able to adjust to the opurtunities presented can make a big difference

In my opinion still hunting and tree stand/ground blind can be the easiest for creating close range opurtunity. That said one of my fav bow hunts is stalking prairie mule deer and you can get close in open country.

It really comes down to the animals and area your hunting. Learn the different hunting methods and use what is more likely to create opurtunity for the hunt your on

That's a tough question to answer for you. It really depends on your temperament, the terrain, and the conditions. Some places (like every where I hunt) are not any good for spot and stalk. I would simply love to do more of it but I can't in my regular stomping grounds. So I still hunt or stump sit (ambush). Both have worked well for me. I choose what to do based on the conditions and what floats my boat that day. Sometimes I just can't sit still for hours on end and choose to walk instead. There are some days when it just pissed rain and the quiet forest is begging to be still hunted, or maybe swirling unpredictable winds are making your ambush spots fruitless. Then there are those days when I like nothing better than settling into a good ambush spot with perfect conditions about an hour before sunset and then letting the sun drain out of the sky around me. Its very calm and meditative, until you hear an animal. So don't go into it assuming you are going to hunt a certain style. Go into it with an open mind and see what the terrain will offer you. Then your style will probably evolve as you hunt and see what you like to do the most.

One more piece of advice, hunting for short range is different than hunting for long range. So don't look at all the hunting advice equally. You are going to be looking for smaller tighter areas with a short range weapon like a bow. Wide open clear cuts aren't of much help unless they afford the opportunity to get in close to things without being detected. So instead look for areas that will afford more close opportunities like the trails leading into the wide open clear cuts. That will be the number one consideration for your hunting, will you be in areas where you can get within range? That animal might as well be on the moon if you see them at 70 yards but have no way of getting to them.
    Last edited by brian; 02-04-2017 at 06:53 PM.