Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Injuries - How have you overcome them !

Re: Injuries - How have you overcome them !

lol, got that same shoulder issue.,last couple year gotten real bad.,last bear i packed out, took over 2 months before pain went away. now even light pack cause issues

guest Guest

Suck it up buttercups .......

be it injury, surgery, sickness, sooner or later were likely all going to face something, and at times life threatening or for many even fatal.......life changing.

when you do, just fight the fight, do it right, get ER Done!

All for our love and passion of the great outdoors and its many rewards to us all.

My biggest injury was chronic tendonitis in both my Achilles tendons from over training and too many sports. The only thing to heal those was plenty of time away from over training and sports. To this day those little tendon injuries are like gauges if I'm over stressing the area. Achilles are starting to ache, its time to back off. I've had a nasty sprained ankle where I think the bone was cracked. This wasn't a simple roll... I can see why people say they would rather break it than sprain it. I still have restricted movement in that joint. I've tried to stretch it out, but can't get too far with it. I've also had plantar fasciitis from going too fast too soon and too old to do what I used to do, that one was really debilitating and took a loooong time to heal. It ended me doing much in the way of organized sports. I just don't want to get injured like that again, especially around hunting season. Otherwise it was mostly a collection of minor aches accumulating over my body. Giving up my desk job is what healed those. Just being generally active throughout the day and getting regular but not excessive exercise. My body feels better at mid forty than I did at mid thirty. I couldn't imagine being generally pain free back then, now I am pain free and in decent shape to boot. If I have pain these days its usually because I have spent too much time sitting on my ass.

Lots of us seem to agree that living is the only thing worth dying for.

I agree with Chopper, and many other posters. Don't give up, no matter how bad it gets. Sometimes you know what is wrong, sometimes it isn't obvious and an MRI doesn't give you an answer.

I'm coming out the other side of 5+ years with Lyme or something like it. Nasty sh*t. The only thing that kept me going was the belief that I was going to get better, eventually.

Don't give up.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    My biggest injury was chronic tendonitis in both my Achilles tendons from over training and too many sports. The only thing to heal those was plenty of time away from over training and sports. To this day those little tendon injuries are like gauges if I'm over stressing the area. Achilles are starting to ache, its time to back off. I've had a nasty sprained ankle where I think the bone was cracked. This wasn't a simple roll... I can see why people say they would rather break it than sprain it. I still have restricted movement in that joint. I've tried to stretch it out, but can't get too far with it. I've also had plantar fasciitis from going too fast too soon and too old to do what I used to do, that one was really debilitating and took a loooong time to heal. It ended me doing much in the way of organized sports. I just don't want to get injured like that again, especially around hunting season. Otherwise it was mostly a collection of minor aches accumulating over my body. Giving up my desk job is what healed those. Just being generally active throughout the day and getting regular but not excessive exercise. My body feels better at mid forty than I did at mid thirty. I couldn't imagine being generally pain free back then, now I am pain free and in decent shape to boot. If I have pain these days its usually because I have spent too much time sitting on my ass.
    Tendonitis of both achilles is something I deal with as well. It has always hurt a bit but this year packing out my big moose pretty much did me in. I have tried a new physio since to try and sort it out, so far it has been working very well and I am feeling better than I have for years. Stoked for bear hunting.

Tendonitis of both achilles is something I deal with as well. It has always hurt a bit but this year packing out my big moose pretty much did me in. I have tried a new physio since to try and sort it out, so far it has been working very well and I am feeling better than I have for years. Stoked for bear hunting.
    Yeah, they are a bitch once that scar tissue has built up. Mine got so bad because they would loosen up after a painful warm up and then I could work and run as hard as I wanted to. Then they'd seize back up when I cooled down. Sports doctor looked at them and said nothing he could do other than rest them. That didn't work. So I went back at it and just dealt with the pain. After a while I was downing Ibuprofen before workouts... until it began to bug my stomach, and I was just getting worse. A guy a work had a similar problem and tore both his achilles. Wake up call. It took me years to recover and like I say they are still not 100%.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I've done 1000's and 1000's of bicycle touring miles, and early on while touring the
    length of Vancouver Island my Achilles tendons began to swell. Fortunately I had been
    warned about damaging them so I backed off my pace, took Ibuprofen, and iced them
    each night. It worked and I was able to finish the ride to the Queen Charlottes and then
    back home through Prince George to the Fraser Valley. On our ride down the coast to
    south of San Francisco my buddy wasn't so lucky. He pushed it too hard until he severely
    damaged them and wasn't able to walk for weeks. Now, even after 15 years, he can't run
    or cycle long distances any more before they swell right up.

Quote Originally Posted by okas View Post
    you have nothing wrong in the real world stop
    Okas I hear you and know full well about other peoples unfortunate issues in life be it a disability, disease, poverty.
    I try to help others .

Arctic Lake

Dealing with a torn meniscus on my right knee right now, cant even get MRI till this Nov. Now I deal with it by getting cortisone shots in the knee every 3 months and downing as much Ibuprofen as I can. Couldn't get out much last year because of the pain but now I have learned to deal with it and am ready for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Yeah, they are a bitch once that scar tissue has built up. Mine got so bad because they would loosen up after a painful warm up and then I could work and run as hard as I wanted to. Then they'd seize back up when I cooled down. Sports doctor looked at them and said nothing he could do other than rest them. That didn't work. So I went back at it and just dealt with the pain. After a while I was downing Ibuprofen before workouts... until it began to bug my stomach, and I was just getting worse. A guy a work had a similar problem and tore both his achilles. Wake up call. It took me years to recover and like I say they are still not 100%.
    The clinic inam dealing with do a manual facia release (not for the faint of heart) to separate the facia and tendon, worked wonders for me. Also on a program of eccentric loading, you can check that out on line. I have tried other things that never helped, including constant icing.