Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Injuries - How have you overcome them !

Injuries - How have you overcome them !

I have been following Markathome's thread on Training and did not want to take away from his great thread, so thought I would start this one as I'm having a couple of issues for the last while. If anyone could respond to mine and maybe others could post there injuries and how they overcame them.

I will start with this problem first .

Have a bunion problem also flat feet . Recently got custom orthotics but the bunion is still a problem. Anyone have bunion surgery, if so how did it work out ? Have you tried a bunion splint ?

Thanks !
    Arctic Lake

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Injuries - How have you overcome them !

you have nothing wrong in the real world stop

I got a stress fracture in outside bone of my foot.. stayed off it for 3 months. 3 months of suck, wasn't supposed to walk much, no running, sports, etc. After 3 months I felt felt pain, it felt good, so played pickup soccer with friends on the gorgeous spring day. All good until I did a cut and felt a 'snap'. Fracture completed. Had surgery to pin it, in a cast for 6-8 weeks of summer. Got fat and down. I weighed myself and found I'd put on 30 lb. Started pedalling a stationary bike with hands, then wrapped cast in plastic bags and swam with a pull-buoy to float legs. Once cast came off swam normally which helped get atrophied leg loosened up and moving.
    Took about 3 months, adding in weights an walking, then hiking, then running ( and actually listening to medic advice, no matter how frustrating) but got fit again.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

When in my early 20's I had severe lower back pain. Docs couldn't find anything wrong so suggested
    it was pinched nerves and the only way to fix it was to strengthen the surrounding muscles by
    doing exercises like swimming or walking. Don't swim, so I began an exercise program of walking.
    I would take my canoe across to the tidal mud flats in Pitt lake, get out and walk in 1-2 feet of water
    while pulling my canoe along. At first it burned like heck, but after awhile my back improved.
    I progressed to walking for hours on the local steep logging roads until I could do it all day while
    carrying a heavy pack. I'm now 71 and have never had back problems since.

Couple car accidents.. People suck at driving. Little bit of nerve damage goes a long way. Physio,acupuncture, "trigger point injections", and at the end of the day Im back working fulltime and starting to workout again. Big lew nailed it .. If it hurts make everything around it do the work until it can heal naturally.

i am constantly dealing with chronic and/or work and sport injuries. I have worked with chiropractors, physios, massage therapists, acupuncturists etc. but to be honest i am isually dealing with pain. I figure thats the price of living an active, adventurous life.

Cool Re: Injuries - How have you overcome them !

My answer has always been Better Living Through Chemistry...

Although that really ain't cutting it with the frozen shoulder I'm carrying...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    My answer has always been Better Living Through Chemistry...

Although that really ain't cutting it with the frozen shoulder I'm carrying...

Cheers,
    Nog
    Ah, the old "frozen shoulder".
    Haven't been able to throw a ball or anything overhand for maybe 15 years, fishing can be a pain at times.
    Yup, sleep the wrong way, wake up in the morning letting out howls of pain just to get the damn thing functioning.
    Two years ago went through lengthy physio, wasn't allowed to lift weights over my head, exercises two or three times a day, no chopping wood and after about 6 months of that, pain free.
    Of course, being pain free I stopped all the physio and exercising, went back hard to the gym and love chopping wood.
    I now wake up in pain again.
    Ah well, nothing a couple of Naproxens can't deal with.

I have had all the cartilage removed from a injury to my left ankle. I have chronic pain everyday. However I hike my ass off for work, lift weights and do crossfit 5 days a week. I'm in great shape and just deal with the pain. Normally I'm okay but you know I'm sore when I start to limp. Good boots have been a saviour for me.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brew View Post
    I have had all the cartilage removed from a injury to my left ankle. I have chronic pain everyday. However I hike my ass off for work, lift weights and do crossfit 5 days a week. I'm in great shape and just deal with the pain. Normally I'm okay but you know I'm sore when I start to limp. Good boots have been a saviour for me.
    Im with you buddy, might be a bit beat up but can still work the ass off most of the kids these days!