Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Injuries - How have you overcome them !

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: Injuries - How have you overcome them !

I'm dealing with hip joint arthritis right now that's likely going to lead to replacement.
    Taking Ibuprofen helps a lot....but I'm reluctant to use it very often because it can be
    damaging to intestinal linings and kidneys. My doctors have advised to only use it sparingly,
    take it with food or liquid to ensure it makes it all the way into the stomach, and I should be alright.
    They say not to get in the habit of using it everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by heatherdaddy View Post
    Dealing with a torn meniscus on my right knee right now, cant even get MRI till this Nov. Now I deal with it by getting cortisone shots in the knee every 3 months and downing as much Ibuprofen as I can. Couldn't get out much last year because of the pain but now I have learned to deal with it and am ready for this year.
    Torn medial meniscus (cartilage) in right knee from too much hockey at 55 playing against 35 year olds. Same knee that has had 2 ACL replacements (also from hockey). The pain from the cartilage is managed with a brace, ice and ibuprofen or Naproxen and stretching exercises. Unable to give up hockey as it it just too much fun. Not any good at it anymore, but still too much fun.

Follow medical advice. Do what activities the doctor says are acceptable. Read, load, watch your diet. Then religiously follow rehab when given the green light by your doc.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Brew View Post
    I have had all the cartilage removed from a injury to my left ankle. I have chronic pain everyday. However I hike my ass off for work, lift weights and do crossfit 5 days a week. I'm in great shape and just deal with the pain. Normally I'm okay but you know I'm sore when I start to limp. Good boots have been a saviour for me.
    Good for you for being so active, but keep in mind that "pain" is your body's way of letting you know something is wrong. Not criticizing you at all, I admire your dedication to fitness, I just read a lot of case studies where people experience unnecessary chronic pain due to overuse. I wonder if cutting back on the crossfit would be an idea? Something to consider if you want to be active as you continue to age, because one day the pain is likely to become too much to bare
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308

My wife has a bad back so I made her some cookies one day. She said the pain is still there but I don't give a %#$&. Got the recipe and ingredient from a friend who has a web site. They don't require a doctors note and will mail it with a tracking #.

Me, I am fortunate that I got some good DNA happening and have no pain at 55.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    I'm dealing with hip joint arthritis right now that's likely going to lead to replacement.
    Taking Ibuprofen helps a lot....but I'm reluctant to use it very often because it can be
    damaging to intestinal linings and kidneys. My doctors have advised to only use it sparingly,
    take it with food or liquid to ensure it makes it all the way into the stomach, and I should be alright.
    They say not to get in the habit of using it everyday.
    I overdid the vitamin I and paid a steep price. I abuse my body for work and find homemade arnica salve to work wonders. I put it on my knees when they are sore and/or swollen, and they feel like they did when I was 18 by morning. Saunas are helpful as well. If I eat anything with sugar I become a cripple and can barely straighten my legs, so I'm a big believer in diet. If you are able to cut out sugar, I bet your arthritis would improve.

Quote Originally Posted by markt308 View Post
    Good for you for being so active, but keep in mind that "pain" is your body's way of letting you know something is wrong. Not criticizing you at all, I admire your dedication to fitness, I just read a lot of case studies where people experience unnecessary chronic pain due to overuse. I wonder if cutting back on the crossfit would be an idea? Something to consider if you want to be active as you continue to age, because one day the pain is likely to become too much to bare
    I can see your point. The problem is when I'm not active the mobility gets worse in the joint and when that happens the pain gets worse. Unfortunately at some point my ankle will get worse and need a replacement which is still pretty new technology as far as ankles go, or I think they will have to fuse it. I'm only 33 so I got a lot of years of work left. I'm also the type of person that feels like garbage if I don't workout more than three days in a week. Not really sure what the best thing to do is. Obviously if the pain gets too bad I skip a workout. I appreciate your advice and will definately tailor my workouts depending on the pain level. Thanks
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

My type of arthritis is a progressively degenerate decease brought on by fractured bone.
    It effects the bone and cartilage, so generally, trying to push through the pain often can actually
    make things worse over time. Like was said, a good rule to go by is that pain, especially severe
    pain, usually is your body telling you that something is dreadfully wrong, so masking it with pain
    killers and then continuing to do whatever was painful can make it much worse.

Bone broth soup will help heal up leaky gut and intestines. Sugar is absolutely poison and any substitute is even worse. organic veggies will help a person heal from any injury or illness. Stay away from all doctor prescribed poison little pills.

Interesting thread,its interesting to hear all your stories and how you cope. I,m 59 and deal with pain everyday from a lifetime of manual labour. The latest is the achilles problem which happened on a cycling trip a few years ago ,now it hurts each morning. The one that scares me is the arthritis,it started hurting my hands so much i,m on meloxicam which helps. Can,t complain too much,i see younger guys in the obits each week.