Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: First Nation rights

Re: First Nation rights

Quote Originally Posted by jassmine View Post
    The primary reason is, is because FN often have little say in the formulation of laws or policies involved with the harvest.

We see the same thing in Conservation Biology all the time. We make decisions and formulate methodologies to protect particular species and then try to force them upon these communities, saying that we know best.
    What we forgot are these communities have a Nation to Nation relationship with Canada (being proven increasingly in courts), and as such any regulations and laws we try to force upon them often don't hold up to the tenets of treaties and FN rights which allow FN self-governance.

I believe we are going to make very little progress until we FN into the decision making process at all levels (enforcement, public service/policy analyst, government decision making). We are only now beginning to do this in our conservation work and through these types of partnerships we've managed to secure better protection and potential increases in land for some species.
    You make me want to stick a rusty fork in my eye sometimes.

Wildlife is suffering.
    The resource is shrinking.
    It takes some form of control to help manage the resource to minimize negative impacts.
    Uncontrolled harvest of the breeding population of most species has detrimental affects on health and numbers.

The science behind this is sound.

Talk and reference all you like about treaties and political ideologies.
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch, wildlife is being killed to the detriment of the population.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

I apologized on post #54, as well as my last post.
    Attempting to characterize me in a particular way, by saying I didn't apologize also says just as much about you.
    That's even more interesting that you consider that an apology or admission that you made a simple mistake. This is actually fascinating.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post

Wildlife is suffering.
    It takes some form of control to help manage the resource to minimize negative impacts.
    Uncontrolled harvest of the breeding population of most species has detrimental affects on health and numbers.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, wildlife is being killed to the detriment of the population.
    Can't agree more with you, but the line in red is the best line i have read on this site ever

Wildlife is suffering.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all.
    It's similar to climate change, the science is also quite sound (in many cases moreso), but until all stakeholders buy in - political parties, levels of government, citizenry, etc - nothing at all will get accomplished and we'll continue to fight over half-measures that do nothing to solve the ultimate problem.

We know there is a problem but no one is doing anything about it because each side has their own perspective and all groups are not willing to make concessions to appease the concerns of others. This polarity is what keeps things from going forward. Only by bringing every one to the same decision making table do things ever get accomplished.

The primary reason is, is because FN often have little say in the formulation of laws or policies involved with the harvest.
    /\ This is not a true statement.
    When laws regarding harvest of wildlife are being considered, FN(I hate that term and do not believe it is accurate) actually have veto power over the implementation of new seasons, etc.

Example. In the central interior, there was a proposal put forward for an archery, 3 point elk season, which was accepted by all parties, until it got to the FN who stopped it in it's tracks. Their reasoning was, the moose population was down so the need to start harvesting more elk to compensate. Or, to simplify that a bit.......We want them, you can't have them. End of story, no new season for the general public.

That also applies to fishing, mining, logging, pipe-line right of ways, and all sorts of land use decisions as well.

Private property rights need to be upheld, or there will be very troubled times ahead.

Darcy

It's similar to climate change, the science is also quite sound (in many cases moreso), but until all stakeholders buy in - political parties, levels of government, citizenry, etc - nothing at all will get accomplished and we'll continue to fight over half-measures that do nothing to solve the ultimate problem.

We know there is a problem but no one is doing anything about it because each side has their own perspective and all groups are not willing to make concessions to appease the concerns of others. This polarity is what keeps things from going forward. Only by bringing every one to the same decision making table do things ever get accomplished.
    Until science finally proves that it is pollution (especially airborn particulate) rather than the CO2 red herring, we will continue to fiddle while Rome burns.... that IS the problem
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 01-30-2017 at 12:49 PM.

This is so ridiculous I don't even know where to start. Meanwhile, as the squabble goes on, wildlife is shot down illegally and nothing's being done to charge the culprits, or to protect the landowner and game from further damage.

Give me a break with sorry discourses, this is poaching, pure and simple. You can be an ethical hunter as much as you like, let's see who's going to be blamed 20 years from now when no more game is to be had no more.

Seriously though, some of you shouldn't even be around this site. If those are the lessons you teach your children, then **** outta here and leave us alone.

On a serious note, since the RCMP, COs and government does nothing, what I am wondering is WHEN will BCWF open up a suit against the band and when will you people smarten up and stop wasting your breath here. It's the courts and the voting polls that the real change will be effected.

As to the OP, could you please PM your number. I want to talk to you.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

There are efforts being made for regulated hunters to have their harvest reduced in support of FN's "rights" for the best chunk of the pie with unregulated harvest. This is not democracy, this is exploitation.

Already happened.

Resident hunters lost 862 animals to FN allocation just last month.

http://bcwf.net/images/stories/Resid...es_dec22-1.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Sweet baby Jesus girl....there are endless discussions going on about this with the stakeholders!!!!
    Some are wanting to only play the game as long as there are no rules for them.

There is a plan and an understanding of what needs to be done.
    It will take a lot of sustainable funding OUTSIDE OF GOVERNMENT.
    It will take education for FN and RH's.
    It will take getting the message out to the average BC citizen.
    Wildlife is at a critical crossroads in this province.

Wildlife is arguably our biggest resource.
    It agonizes me to listen to people fight in the mud.
    The blame game never ends.

Look in the f*cking mirror people.
    The solution starts there when asked.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

There is a plan and an understanding of what needs to be done.
    Well what is the plan that has a chance to get everyone on board (asking earnestly, because I have never seen a good one elaborated)?