Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I discovered the best dog toy.

Re: I discovered the best dog toy.

And here I always assumed house dogs just licked peanut butter....

We give our dogs any of the smaller antlers (from both hunting and sheds) that we don't want to keep for ourselves.

My little shih-tzu X dog lives for his antlers. Likes them so much he sits under my wall mounts and stares at them like he is wishing them to fall.

our pitty loves antler. chew toy, play toy. but any other form of bone..leg, he tries to burry them..

A word to the wise, be very careful when letting your dog chew on older sun bleached antlers as it seems the one in the pictures is. The older ones have a totally different texture and sharp shards can easily be broken off and harm your dog getting lodged in its throat..........................
    Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing

Verein Deutsch Drahthaar Group Canada

(Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend)

Quote Originally Posted by hotload View Post
    A word to the wise, be very careful when letting your dog chew on older sun bleached antlers as it seems the one in the pictures is. The older ones have a totally different texture and sharp shards can easily be broken off and harm your dog getting lodged in its throat..........................
    Good point, similar to feeding raw bones vs cooked bones.

gas for trying to hunt and kill black tail - $500
    muffler repair from cross ditch $85
    Finally getting a 2 point another $200
    watching my chocolate lab chew and play with the 2 point buck horns priceless and a 2 point will last him a month or two and yes very white teeth

My three big dogs love them. I have them all over the damn house now.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Quote Originally Posted by hotload View Post
    I was worried about this too when I started giving my dogs antlers but in my experiences, the weathered antlers, although they appear dry and cracked, actually seem to be softer as once the sap, and whatever else gets rubbed into them to make them shiny, wears off they become porous and actually absorb moisture which makes them quite soft and easily broken into little bits almost like cork.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    isn't that overly hard for their teeth?
    Yes, antler bone is quite hard and can lead to fractured teeth, in particular the carnassial molar (4th premolar) in the upper jaw. Unfortunately the myth that wild canines have perfect teeth due to their diet is persistent, but false:

Prevalence of crown trauma in free-ranging maned wolves (Chrysocyon brachyurus) in central Brazil
    J Vet Dent. December 2007;24(4):231-4.
    Mariana Malzoni Furtado 1, Cyntia Kayo Kashivakura, Claudia Ferro, Anah Tereza de Almeida Jácomo, Leandro Silveira, Samuel Astete, Fernanda Maria Lopes

Article Abstract

Nineteen free-ranging maned wolves (Chrysocyon brachyurus) were captured in central Brazil from April through November 2003. Oral cavity examination revealed 34 teeth with crown trauma in twelve animals. Canine teeth were most commonly affected (44.2%), followed by premolar (29.4%) and incisor teeth (26.5%). Trauma to maxillary teeth (67.7%) was more frequent compared with mandibular teeth (32.3 %). The majority of dental fractures were located at the cuspid portion of the crown (56.0%). Slab fractures were the most frequent type (37.0%), followed by horizontal (24.0%), oblique (24.0%) and longitudinal fractures (15.0%). Complicated crown fracture (pulp exposure) was diagnosed in 13 (38.2%) of these teeth while pulpitis noted by tooth discoloration was diagnosed in 8 (23.5%) teeth.