Thread: Waterfowl Rookie Seeking Advise

Waterfowl Rookie Seeking Advise

Hey all,

I inherited an old Browning A5 from my grandfather a few years ago which has seen more of my case than daylight, it simply wasn't functioning properly and I didn't have the time/cash flow to get it working. I recently had the shotgun tuned up and now, finally, the semi auto action is working properly. Having said that, I've wanted to get into Waterfowl hunting for a while now but pursuing and learning the larger game has stolen most of my focus away from any intentions to move forward with the birds.

Long story short, the time has come and i'd love to get into the world of Water fowl hunting and am not sure where to start. I was hoping to gather some insight from a few of you on here if you're willing, at the very least just to get my foot in the door and pointed in the right direction.

Essentially, I'm just looking for some general advise to get started and if it's not too much of a hassle perhaps some answers to these questions:

1.)What are the essential gear requirements? ( calls? decoys? ect )

2.) Do most lower mainlanders head out to the Ladner public area? Or is there a significant advantage if you head up towards the interior.

3.) Are there any clubs that are worth looking at? From what I understand they can be fairly difficult to become a member ( I have lots of time )

4.) Any further recommended literature/books/reading is greatly appreciated.

I'd love to get out and at least have a few opportunities this year to enjoy some duck hunting.

Much appreciated,
    Matt

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Waterfowl Rookie Seeking Advise

I have hunted waterfowl off and on since I was a kid but still have a lot to learn so take my advice for what it is. Ducks I seem to do alright geese I really just started targeting. Will keep my advice towards ducks

What I use for decoys is 1 1/2 dozen mallards and 1 dozen teal. Really the teal are just easier to carry and add a different size profile to my spread. Does it truly help I don't know but it makes me feel special lol. I also run 1-2 mojo's. If I am solo and it's a bit of a hike I only bring 1. Mojo's are not a must but they help.

Calls I carry 2 double reed mallard calls 1 softer sounding other is more raspy and louder. Lots of guys like single reed but I suck with them. I also carry a whistle this really helps with teal, wigeon, and pintails.

When I lived in the lowermain land I hunted private land around Abby/ Chilliwack and public around Derosh/Harrison. Heard Ladner is busy so never hunted there. I was able to find respectable areas with little to no hunters where I hunted so stuck with them

I know there is a club but know little about it. I would say if you can get out with an experienced water fowler it is worth it

So that is the advice of a mediocre water fowler you should have some more knowledgeable guys chime in that can help you further

Duck season is closed for the year FYI. Grab a dozen decoys and spend the rest of your money on gas to find birds, if you find where they want to be you will kill them

Quote Originally Posted by wingmaster View Post
    Duck season is closed for the year FYI. Grab a dozen decoys and spend the rest of your money on gas to find birds, if you find where they want to be you will kill them
    Closed for the year? No duck hunting in 2017? Bummer.
    Just kidding thanks for the advise so far guys.
    I will definitely be spending the preceding months until duck season scouting and
    learning as much as possible ( hence why I'm on here )

Hey Wolfkrieg, ducks season for 2016/17 is done but Canada geese season is going be open soon. This coming 2107/18 duck season I don't mind dragging you along. I assume your a young buck and I need some young guys to lug my decoys to duck blind.

Gave me PM this coming October.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."

Hey,
    My advice is to buy your decoys and soft stuff (blind bag, shotgun shell belt, call, camo netting) at Wal Mart in the US. Every fall they bring in cheap stuff that will work very well for your purpose.

Scouting is key, find an area with birds and 'fly at'ter'
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by Sako 75 View Post
    Hey Wolfkrieg, ducks season for 2016/17 is done but Canada geese season is going be open soon. This coming 2107/18 duck season I don't mind dragging you along. I assume your a young buck and I need some young guys to lug my decoys to duck blind.

Gave me PM this coming October.
    That's fantastic Sako 75, I will take any opportunity to gain hunting expertise from the seasoned vet's. I'll carry your moose out on my back if you need me to as well. But seriously - expect a PM October 1st lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkrieg View Post
    That's fantastic Sako 75, I will take any opportunity to gain hunting expertise from the seasoned vet's. I'll carry your moose out on my back if you need me to as well. But seriously - expect a PM October 1st lol.
    thats a great offer.

Best way to learn is hands on.

Consealment is huge. These birds have eyesight for days. Geese especially. They will flare at almost anything.

If shooting over water, having a means to retrieve birds can be a challenge in itself. I've always preferred a good field hunt. But that was in AB where the fields were plenty and access was easy. With good concealment and a little effort you don't need a big decoy spread to kill birds.

Figure red out what you want to hunt. Buy a few calls and start practicing now. Put the buggers in your truck, you will be the crazy guy in traffic blowIn on a duck call, but it takes a ton of time. I still can't call at all. It's hard. I let my partners call em in. Hahah

good luck and just get out there. Once the birds start flying overhead. You will be hooked. This I promise.