Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Training ? How's your program? Working for you?

Re: Anyone Training ? How's your program? Working for you?

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    6 workouts per week for me right now,,,,,,one day is a 24 station circuit x 2 (1 min. per station), one day of super set circuits, 8 of them (4 1/2-10 min. per set) that I do with a few buddies at the school I taught at, 1-2 days at Steve Nash, and 3 days of master's track (sprinting). In the late spring and summer I pretty much just like to hike,,,,,got in 39 last year, most of them on the BCMC or the Flint and Feather up at Grouse (FAR less crowded than the Grind).

Try this exercise and let me know how you fared: (pushups /ab circuit). Start with 20 good pushups, followed right away with 20 full sit-ups (no anchored legs, no crunches), then do 18 of each, then 16, 14, 12, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, etc. right down to one of each. Don't do them fast or slow, just steady, and non-stop. There will be 135 of each when you're done. Takes almost 7 minutes non-stop to complete.

Maybe you young bucks will think it's not overly difficult,,,,but you'll see once you give it a go. I'm 61 and it never seems to get easier because you start to get a little faster the more muscle endurance you're able to build. Every second day is about right.
    Thats awesome... Im 36, and if I can be doing half of that at 61, ill be very happy.

Great to hear about you guys getting into Jiu Jitsu. I put in years on the mats (shout out to Gravity BJJ / Caio Terra), but training got in the way of after work family time and I have little kids, so I had to stop. Also there is a high change of injury with Jiu Jitsu and as I get older and recovery times lengthen, staying injury free becomes more important.

These days I'm at the gym 6 times a week: 3x swim and 3x weight, with a focus on big compound lifts like deadlift, clean and press, squat, bench press. For my 40th birthday I swam 1 km in 20 minutes and deadlifted 400 lbs three times, so it's working out. Come hunting season, I hike with weight in my pack, but I just don't have time to keep that up all year.

One thing that really helped my lifting is picking up Pavel Tsatsouline's books. The 5x5 method works, and generally going heavy but not to fail has allowed me to gain strength and avoid injury. This said, I believe the best exercise is the one you can do consistently, so it's going to be different for everyone.
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeStandMan View Post
    staying injury free becomes more important.

and generally going heavy but not to fail has allowed me to gain strength and avoid injury. This said, I believe the best exercise is the one you can do consistently, so it's going to be different for everyone.
    I have started doing this as well ^^^^ ... A lot of these work out programs were developed by guys/women useing PED's. Doing 9-12 sets per muscle group may be to much, especially if you have days where your doing two muscle groups per day. If i feel fatigued after 6 sets, Im done. You can feel the pump from the blood, that indicates you have torn the fibers ... thats enough. Besides , i like to focus on cardio and core now, Its more important for " REAL WORLD STRENGTH "

You dont need to over do it ... Same with rest days, if i have a work out day planned, but im tired ... i rest/stretch that day. Its all very important for avoiding injury, especially for us guys 35 and older
    Last edited by Chopper; 01-30-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    JOIN US AT CRSPORTFISHING.CA

I've gained 10lbs since hunting season, it's all donuts and nanaimo bars though, will come off quick once spring hits! Made it out Friday and Sunday for 6.5km fat man jogging. Can't call that running feels good to get the body moving. Just keep chewin' back the Tylonel so I can walk
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I had too many injuries piling up from intense training in my 30's. These days I have scaled back a lot, but I feel a lot better. Generally I train something every other day and try not to sit on my ass for the rest of the time. But this January has been brutal for colds and flu. My house has been a den of disease. My kids have both been sick twice in a row, which they gave to momma and I held off until now. So training is on the back burner.

I used to do a bit of boxing which was a great work out and I've always wanted to do some BJJ, just never gotten around to it. My son has just started doing martial arts and its making me want to get into it again.

Quote Originally Posted by markathome View Post
    What's the long event? Swim specific or is it part of a tri?
    Going to attempt Sechelt ----> Nanaimo this summer. Wish me luck.
    Trouble is easy to find and hard to get rid of.
    -Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by markathome View Post
    Hey Harry - here's the fire hydrant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La3xYT8MGks

I find it works those weak areas in the glutes/flexors.
    Wicked, thanks...

Solo - that's 35k or 1400 lengths... 700 laps. I can't even get my head around that. What kind of weekly pool mileage are you hitting? That's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by solo View Post
    Going to attempt Sechelt ----> Nanaimo this summer. Wish me luck.

vortex hunter Guest

I ride snowmobile so lugging that outta being stuck when I am is training enough and walking in deep snow is good to ... GOSH i need a smoke lol

Wayne Willman I shed hunt for 4 months of the year starting in Feb till the end of May I am retired and I go out every other day and walk up to 15k on some days,,then in June I put out 18 trail cams with 50 pound salt blocks and I check them every week this keeps me in good shape then in Sept I head out for bow season for the 9 days as for to check my trail cams midday two times in the 9 day period of bow season,,Then rifle season comes I am in the bush most of the time walking the ,mountains trying to find Mr big as for a continue check my trail cams and replenish my salt blocks ,,there is only 2 months of the year I don't work out and that's the time I lay back and do some relaxing the months are Dec,Jan,then its back to doing what I love to do and that is the wording I have in my above post..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..