Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Training ? How's your program? Working for you?

Re: Anyone Training ? How's your program? Working for you?

You guys are way more hardcore than me....

i try and do 5 workouts per week, mostly short with mod to high intensity. I usually run twice per week and then do a mix of rowing machine and weights. I stretch every day and do some back exercises as I have an bad back to keep on top of. Outside of winter I'm a cyclist and usually ride once or twice a week too (30-50km).

Occasionally i get unmotivated and ill one of my wife's Jillian Michaels workout videos. Sounds lame but it's a killer workout for the whole body in 30 mins.

I also have a fitbit and try and do my 10,000 steps each day. I am on a lot of conferences calls so I usually do a fast walk for an hour outside when I do those.

Great thread markathome.

When I started hunting I was 236 pounds. Today I'm 175. I changed to mostly Paleo style of eating and the mtnstrong program. It really worked good for me, but I mix it up. For a while I'll do a lot of running, right now I'm hiking with weight and indoor rock climbing. Soon I'm going to switch back to focussing on weights again. Keeps me from getting bored I guess.

I hike ....
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

You guys are hardcore. I used to be pretty strong and then got a bit chubby in my 30's. I just worked down to 210lbs from 235. Time to bulk..! Prob do 4x a week- should be lots.

Great thread markathome! Good to read about so many keeping fit. I am running 3 times a week, training for a marathon. Also swim 3x a week training for a super long event this summer, biking twice a week to get ready for a half iron in the spring, personal trainer once a week to keep everything balanced and strong, and a short physio workout every morning to strengthen a back injury. Sure makes hiking with a rifle and a heavy pack easier.
    Trouble is easy to find and hard to get rid of.
    -Solomon

Hey Harry - here's the fire hydrant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La3xYT8MGks

I find it works those weak areas in the glutes/flexors.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I hike year round, climbing mountains and/or lots of hills, and bushwhacking is a good all round body workout...snowshoeing in 2'-4' of snow that hasn't been touched, and going up hills while it sloughs down is a real good workout I find...other than doing that 1-2 times a week, I workout at home 3 mornings a week, 1 usually push-ups or bent over rows with bike at resistance and keeping rpms up, then a squat and shoulder workout, repping out a lot of squats and shoulder presses..then the other workout will usually be a lot of heavy shoulders or chin-ups or similar excersises...and what is a 'fire hydrant'?

6 workouts per week for me right now,,,,,,one day is a 24 station circuit x 2 (1 min. per station), one day of super set circuits, 8 of them (4 1/2-10 min. per set) that I do with a few buddies at the school I taught at, 1-2 days at Steve Nash, and 3 days of master's track (sprinting). In the late spring and summer I pretty much just like to hike,,,,,got in 39 last year, most of them on the BCMC or the Flint and Feather up at Grouse (FAR less crowded than the Grind).

Try this exercise and let me know how you fared: (pushups /ab circuit). Start with 20 good pushups, followed right away with 20 full sit-ups (no anchored legs, no crunches), then do 18 of each, then 16, 14, 12, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, etc. right down to one of each. Don't do them fast or slow, just steady, and non-stop. There will be 135 of each when you're done. Takes almost 7 minutes non-stop to complete.

Maybe you young bucks will think it's not overly difficult,,,,but you'll see once you give it a go. I'm 61 and it never seems to get easier because you start to get a little faster the more muscle endurance you're able to build. Every second day is about right.

Holy Shit Morphiend - 61lbs dropped that is impressive - that's basically you shedding my entire 9-year old kid. Unreal. I follow a few food rules as well - I dropped refined carbs and sugars over a year ago I love it - no more bonks at 3:30 PM, I can run 30+k on a banana and a hand full of nuts, I'm leaner and the grocery bill for a family of four is sub 250$ a week (wife and kids don't necessarily follow the "we don't eat out of a box") but I'm the shopper and house cook so I have them trapped .

Guys at work always give me a hard time about my lunch - and how much it cost (mostly the bag of mixed nuts) but I always remind them that I don't shop in the meat dept and really just hit the perimeter of the grocery store.

For me that's one of the things that keeps me fired up about hunting - my freezer runs pretty low in august and I start to get freaked out that we're going to run out of food. Last year we ate alot of fish in the summer - mainly because I only cut two tags last year so the freezer was thin to start with. So I scout hard in August and try and make sure I'm set up for opening day. This year both my girls will have their own license/tags so we're starting even a little earlier this year!

Quote Originally Posted by morphiend View Post
    Great thread markathome.

When I started hunting I was 236 pounds. Today I'm 175. I changed to mostly Paleo style of eating and the mtnstrong program. It really worked good for me, but I mix it up. For a while I'll do a lot of running, right now I'm hiking with weight and indoor rock climbing. Soon I'm going to switch back to focussing on weights again. Keeps me from getting bored I guess.

What's the long event? Swim specific or is it part of a tri?

Quote Originally Posted by solo View Post
    Great thread markathome! Good to read about so many keeping fit. I am running 3 times a week, training for a marathon. Also swim 3x a week training for a super long event this summer, biking twice a week to get ready for a half iron in the spring, personal trainer once a week to keep everything balanced and strong, and a short physio workout every morning to strengthen a back injury. Sure makes hiking with a rifle and a heavy pack easier.

Mastercaster - 135 push-ups/sit-ups in seven minutes... that's tough. I'll give this one a go tomorrow morning. Rest day today after yesterday's long run.

Just watched Ned Overend's 10 tips on staying competitive when you're over 50 (which I'm closing in on fast) and it looks like good rest, high intensity and resistance training (weights) are the three rules to follow.

Most of my previous training was 80% long slow distance and 20% high intensity. But now that I've rolled in the weights this winter, I'm not sure how to measure my HIT runs. I'm currently doing two hill days (one 600m with 10 reps and one day of a 50m stair set that I hammer as fast as I can until failure). I might drop a hill day and put a track day in to work on turn over and sprints. Not my forte.

I love that all you guys are disciplined enough to take on the weighted packs in the summer. I'll still be training for my August race, but I'm definitely motivated to take a rock or two for a walk this summer - even if it's just heading to the lake with the kids to wet a line, I think I'll just make one of my packs weighted all the time and grab that one when ever heading out for family stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    6 workouts per week for me right now,,,,,,one day is a 24 station circuit x 2 (1 min. per station), one day of super set circuits, 8 of them (4 1/2-10 min. per set) that I do with a few buddies at the school I taught at, 1-2 days at Steve Nash, and 3 days of master's track (sprinting). In the late spring and summer I pretty much just like to hike,,,,,got in 39 last year, most of them on the BCMC or the Flint and Feather up at Grouse (FAR less crowded than the Grind).

Try this exercise and let me know how you fared: (pushups /ab circuit). Start with 20 good pushups, followed right away with 20 full sit-ups (no anchored legs, no crunches), then do 18 of each, then 16, 14, 12, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, etc. right down to one of each. Don't do them fast or slow, just steady, and non-stop. There will be 135 of each when you're done. Takes almost 7 minutes non-stop to complete.

Maybe you young bucks will think it's not overly difficult,,,,but you'll see once you give it a go. I'm 61 and it never seems to get easier because you start to get a little faster the more muscle endurance you're able to build. Every second day is about right.