Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Training ? How's your program? Working for you?

Anyone Training ? How's your program? Working for you?

Hey All - just checking in to see how everyone's (if you are) training programs are going?

My fall was awesome - lots of time in the mountains, pulled a couple of nice bucks down off the hill and felt strong/healthy all season. I tagged out in October and half-assed hunted black bear and fished with the kids for the rest of the season without success -but it got me out of the house.

I'm planning on chasing sheep and goats this upcoming season for the first time, so I'm going to change up my routine - more weighted workouts and wayyyyy more mobility work outs.

My program for the last couple of years has been to schedule a couple of ultras (one in the spring (50k or 50m) and one in the late summer 50m or 100k) and by default that gets me fit for hunting season. I usually run 4-5 times a week with a long run on the weekend and cross train either at the pool, climbing gym or weights. My weight routine is what I changed up this year and I'm starting to see results already. I've moved the lifting up a priority it's like my training sandwich didn't have any meat - what a difference. Psyched to see what it'll do to my 50K PR (I have a race in April).

I'm adjusting my routine and aiming for increase leg/core/lower back strength and weighted endurance. I'm 47 and realizing that the full functionality of my hips are critical to keeping it together when it gets tough - it's also the first area to fatigue when heading into the last push for an ultra or coming down off the mountain under weight. I've added double and single leg lifts, weighted lunges and fire-hydrants to my reg warm up/stretch routine - see how that goes. April 50k race will be the test I guess.

No real question I guess - just wondering if/how/what anyone else is doing - especially you guys who alpine hunt - because you can alpine hunt off the couch into your 30's... but man once 35 happens - you gotta work that shit or suffer.

Cheers - Mark

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone Training ? How's your program? Working for you?

3 days a week im hiking steep hills or ravines is all i do. ill add a pack for weight to sometimes, alot diff coming down a mnt with a pack and loaded with game.
    im 50 now. and its getting harder every year..lol have a buddy half my age and works out in gym stuff. i still make it to the top with less effort and sweat, and i smoke.
    i find that using the terrain with a pack works great, kinda like free wight vs universal. helps core not being stable by a gym system, and nice flat ground working out

I just stepped in dog shit in the dark when I got out of bed. So no, training isn`t going so well.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    I just stepped in dog shit in the dark when I got out of bed. So no, training isn`t going so well.
    Now I need to clean up coffee thanks

Atleast I am not wiping dog shit off my foot lol

I hit the gym 7 days a week now 30 minutes hard cardio on the treadmill every day before work. Either I walk steep incline then flat for a minute then run and repeat, or walk fast at like 12 to 15 percent incline. I try to do at least 500 calories. Then low carb breakfast after. Good foods lots of fish and spinach and meats/protein. So far lost 17.9 lbs first month. I use the lose it app. You put in your height weight age etc. And goal weight and when you want to reach it and it gives you a daily calorie intake then you add in all your foods to keep track and also add excercise. You can scan most barcodes to get info stored in the app then next time you eat it it's really easy. Also nothing like a gruelling workout and hottub to follow before work to get the day going imo. Trying to get in grizzly shape. Also try and take the dogs nightly for 45 to an hour walk. After one month I can hike way further with more energy. IMO 90 percent of losing it and feeling better/ having stamina is staying away from shit food and leaning more towards meat, cheeses, nuts, clif bars and veggies with every meal. Good luck to all

Nothing has gotten me stronger for hiking than Muay Thai kick boxing boot camp ... i do it 4 days a week, 2000 reps in 45 min. I weight train in between. I will hike and lift weights, but when i go to kickboxing , all my strength and conditioning go through the roof. If you dont eat like a cow, you will lose weight so fast ... you will think you have cancer.

also a big one, and it critical for me, i go to the mountains for my water, load up two weeks worth. I wake up and on m empty stomach every morning, i drink 1.5-2 liters of water, and i dont eat for an hour. My body actually gets rock hard in the morning just from that. I drink between 4 and 7 liters per day
    Last edited by Chopper; 01-29-2017 at 09:56 AM.
    JOIN US AT CRSPORTFISHING.CA

I started last year prepping about eight months before my goat hunt and worked pretty hard, lots of core work, kettle bell squats, box jumps, farmers carries as well as my usual chest, back, arm work outs. Also some practice runs up into the Squamish valley for weekend camping trips.

Twenty minutes in to my hike I new I had not done enough, I powered through and got my hunt done but would have been in trouble if I actually got a goat.

I've been looking at this site and reading up on there workout philosophy and am going to follow it a little closer this year.
    mtnstrong.com
    I think for myself I will still keep it up at the gym but will spend a lot more time in the mountains with a pack on. Oh by the way I turned 55 this year.
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

Quote Originally Posted by markathome View Post
    My weight routine is what I changed up this year and I'm starting to see results already. I've moved the lifting up a priority it's like my training sandwich didn't have any meat - what a difference. Psyched to see what it'll do to my 50K PR (I have a race in April).

Cheers - Mark
    Mark,
    If you are already doing 50 milers you definitely don't need advice but I think you are on to something with the lifting. There is an amazing Crossfit gym here in Squamish. Crossfit makes up about 50% of their business but the other 50% is powerlifting. Lots of endurance athletes in the powerlifting program and they all rave about the difference it makes. I'll be curious to hear about the difference it makes in your performance.

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum, I've been sedentary for 5 years for health reasons but am just coming out of that deep hole, walking every day, doing light weights and stretching. I want to treat the 5 years as a break for my body, not an invitation to get injured now that I'm moving again, but it is hard to go slow knowing how far I've got to go to get back into some semblance of the shape I used to enjoy.

That said, I never thought a brisk 5k walk would feel so awesome. Steady as she goes. I'll be going back to Crossfit as soon as I'm able.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

My training is a bit unconventional, but it has worked building my lungs up, and overall core strength. Brazilian jiu jitsu 5 days a week. I also lift and hike as much as possible with a heavy pack.

Just adding more cardio endurance training to my strength training. And have added swimming once a week because I hate running. When the snows melt I'll be doing more early season hiking as well.