Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Training ? How's your program? Working for you?

Re: Anyone Training ? How's your program? Working for you?

I've really gone downhill in the last few years, so am trying to get back to it. Aside from getting the food under control, the second portion of the plan are regular workouts (although finding it hard to do more than a couple of standard workouts during the week). My ideal plan, though, will be:

1. Monday evening - Spin class on (don't even try making fun of it until you've been to one)
    - followed by walking the dog without weighted pack
    2. Tuesday evening - Take my dog on his standard 4+km walk in the woods whilst wearing my newly weighted 40lb pack (just found a use for that huge stack of magazines we had hanging around)
    3. Wednesday AM - workout with trainer
    4. Thursday evening - Dog Walk with weighted pack again
    - yoga? spin again?
    5. Friday morning - workout with trainer
    - Dog walk with weighted pack
    6. Saturday morning - Yoga
    - dog walk with weighted pack
    7. Sunday - dog walk and yoga/spin?

Can't quite hammer it down...have to get the schedule sorted out. Should be able to move at least one of the spin classes to being able to do it from home...maybe Thursday AM, actually. Just have to get my bike set up.

Anyhow, really want to get back into form and be ready to carry a heavy pack when I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    There are no "wicked" work outs that involve burpees, period..hahaha
    I beg to differ. Why don't you try what I mentioned several posts back as part of your workout. Start with a standing long jump for max distance, go into a pushup burpee on the spot, after you land from the burpee jump then do the standing long jump again, etc. for 15 reps. Rest 1 minute (no more) then do forward lunges across the gym floor with 20-40 lb. dumbbells depending on your strength, making sure your knee comes within a inch or so of the ground, do reverse lunges on the way back. That's set one. Rest one minute. Repeat this three times (for a total of three sets).

Whatever distance it takes to cover the burpee part of the circuit, do the same distance for the forward and reverse lunge part.

If you're not bent over double trying to recover,,,,,, well then, my hat is off to you! But don't diss the burpee workout until you've tried it. LOL
    Last edited by mastercaster; 02-10-2017 at 08:06 PM.

I think he meant that burpees suck. Like, as in, are a real bitch

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    I think he meant that burpees suck. Like, as in, are a real bitch
    I forgot to read between the line. LOL

Alright - back on track this week.

Monday (found this one on a ski mo site)

Skip rope 4mins and 3x burpee for every miss

50-40-30-20-10 of each of the following:
    · Dumbbell Thrusters (squat to push press).
    · Dumbbell Step-ups (per leg).

Eight minutes jump roping, with 4x burpees for every miss.

*** holy shit that ^^^ crushed me***

Tuesday Hot Yoga (needed it)

Wednesday 13k 136 HR pace

Thurs Core/Leg day at the climbing gym:
    kettle bell figure 8's / leg lifts
    3 sets curl/row/military/back with bar/strict sit ups

Friday rest

Today - 2hr run from the house to the top of the Chief. Listened to the https://journalofmountainhunting.com/ podcast

Feeling great - even if I need to hang onto the truck door to get out.

Sunday - 35k or 3.5 hrs at 136 HR. Whichever comes first.

I'm going to set up a pack with sand - 40lbs to start and my box work outs are going to be weighted next week. I'm down to 8 weeks to race day so I'm going to kill my legs for the next six weeks and taper into race day...

^^^^^Sounds killer! How do you keep your heart rate down to 136 for 3 1/2 hours of exercise? Geez,,,, my HR goes up to 140 just my looking at a Sports Illustrated bathing suit issue!

Well Lindsey Vonn's body paint aside... I follow the Phil Maffetone "train slow to race fast" I don't think I could do it if it weren't for hunting podcasts to keep me from loosing my mind.

I train so slow in the early training season that I look like I'm out for a brisk walk... but then about 6 weeks in I hit this magic zone of fitness and endurance. I can run more or less everything I want to (except hills) at a 6 min k pace - which is plenty for me. Then on race day I leave it all on the course, leave the HR monitor at home and race by feel.

https://philmaffetone.com/

I bump my heart rate zone up three beats according to Phil's criteria of 180 minus your age.

How were the conditions up the chief was thinking of heading up there? Ice wise.

I worked out my entire whole life. I have a gym in my basement but my workouts went stale so I joined crossfit last October. I thought I was fit when I joined but quickly realized how out of shape I was. I weighed 188 when I joined and a week later I was down to 178. I started eating a lot more calories and now I'm sitting at 190 and really lean. I didn't think I would like group workouts but the people and the atmosphere at my gym is great. I've been going 5 days a week. I also work in the bush so lately been snowshoeing about 10km a day on top of my workouts. I'm burning so many calories I can't keep my food intake up even when I'm taking two 1000 calorie weight gain shakes on top of my regular meals. Hoping I get the tatsenshini draw because I'll be ready for it.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Hey Charlie, all good yesterday - but I was up there early before it got warm (I was heading down 9ish). Passed a paraglider hiking his way to the top on the way up - that looks amazing - scary - but amazing. There's lots of snow to kick steps up the final 75m of rock to the flat top. Head up - views today would be worth the sweat. I wore runners - no yak tracks or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie_horse View Post
    How were the conditions up the chief was thinking of heading up there? Ice wise.