Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inreach explorer

Re: Inreach explorer

Thanks todbartell, I thought maybe the phone tethering option could allow it. Still may consider it, could be worth its weight in gold on solo hunts

Quote Originally Posted by behemoth View Post
    Thanks todbartell, I thought maybe the phone tethering option could allow it. Still may consider it, could be worth its weight in gold on solo hunts
    Even if you could, the cost would be prohibitive...

And starting tomorrow the Donald will hijack it...

Pairing with your phone or iPad just speeds up the typing. It's tedious to write 140 character messages in the inReach that's fo sho!
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Well I bit the bullet on a new explorer +. Got to use it a while this morning and am very pleased with it. Being able to check in with the family is a welcomed thing, hopefully never have to press the SOS button tho lol

It is a very handy tool.
    One problem I have had is with the way other people set my inReach up as a contact in their cell phones. I've had text messages that were meant to go to my cell phone that went to my inreach which I didn't use for a couple weeks and I was accused of ignoring business texts. Could cause some problems for sure in an emergency.

Not to mention, text charges for text intended for your cell phone. That'd suck

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Chaser View Post
    It is a very handy tool.
    One problem I have had is with the way other people set my inReach up as a contact in their cell phones. I've had text messages that were meant to go to my cell phone that went to my inreach which I didn't use for a couple weeks and I was accused of ignoring business texts. Could cause some problems for sure in an emergency.
    I was under the impression that the inreach chooses a different phone number for your device after a certain amount of time. For example if you send a message to a buddy from your inreach a number will show up on his phone. That number will work for a certain amount of time. So if your buddy uses that number for your Contact number it will work as long as you keep texting him. If say you don't text him for a say a couple of weeks and he tries using that original number it will not send it to your inreach.

Thats the way I understood it when I read it on the net.
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

I'll check.
    The message that was sent to my inreach when my cell phone was intended was sent a couple days after my last inreach text. I didn't check the inreach for a couple weeks.

from a retailers advert
    Starting June 1, enjoy up to $150 in rebates* on the purchase of any inReach device from participating retailers.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

According to an inreach spokesperson, the functionality of the GPS is poor as compared to the standalone GPS unit as allan mentioned. I am trying to decide whether my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S7) would replace the GPS given the hardware and range of applications but I've yet to leave the GPS at home. Now that I have an inreach, I can't imagine not having one out there and the current rebate offer makes it hard to say no.