Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inreach explorer

Inreach explorer

Looking for some opinions on these. After having an incident in 2016 I'd like to grab one. I'm wondering if the Explorer is worth getting over the SE?

I understand it's great as a messenger but am curious about the gps end of things?

Any opinions are appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Inreach explorer

I have the se. Paired with phone it makes typing messages easier. Cant speak for the gps part. As i use other devices. But it sends coordinates with your message. Easy to use .

I have the Explorer. I don't normally pack a GPS so it was handy to set way points and be able view cross country distances. The device paid for itself last year as we had a party member suffer a broken leg and we were able to get him out via helicopter with minimal fuss.

The gps function on Inreach is sub par, your better off to have a gps you can put back roads maps with a Minni sd card in and be done with it. Pairing inreach with phone is handy and way faster to text, but not needed.
    there are ways to download maps to your phone / gps but without an sd card your limited to how much info you can download onto a gps.
    I don't have the time to download each area I want to go and to change it all the time.
    I won't leave home without my gps/phone( camera ) and my Delorme. They are essential to me.

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    The gps function on Inreach is sub par, your better off to have a gps you can put back roads maps with a Minni sd card in and be done with it. Pairing inreach with phone is handy and way faster to text, but not needed.
    there are ways to download maps to your phone / gps but without an sd card your limited to how much info you can download onto a gps.
    I don't have the time to download each area I want to go and to change it all the time.
    I won't leave home without my gps/phone( camera ) and my Delorme. They are essential to me.
    Good to know this is more or less what I was wondering. I was hoping to be able to have the one unit do everything and not still require a stand alone gps.

So far in over two years no lost calls.The GPS is basic but it works.You can pair it to your phone and use the earthmate app which has more detailed mapping.
    Also works with Hunt Buddy maps i believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z03qu6UXGGk
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Quote Originally Posted by DnD View Post
    Apparently InReach has been purchased by Garmin. That pairing might result in a better combo GPS/communicator unit coming to market. Question is when. Food for thought. It would be frustrating to buy now, only to have exactly what you want show up shortly thereafter.
    The new units come out in March. Around the 600 dollar mark for the Explorer, doesn't sound like it's all that different either.

It would be frustrating to buy now, only to have exactly what you want show up shortly thereafter.
    which seems typical when it comes to electronics and the fast evolution of devices or cameras et al

Just now looking to pair Inreach and Earthmate and a tablet, looks pretty versatile
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Got one for my old man that doesn't know how to even use email. He can't run these either so I guess It's time to get him the trusty sat phone again..

Here is the new model pretty good price jump.http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-inreach...municator.html
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess