Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Inreach explorer

Re: Inreach explorer

Now that Garmin has bought Delorme my fingers are heavily crossed that a really useful multiuse device will be released that covers both the coms and great gps spectrum so that we can all only carry one device that hopefully has field replaceable batteries. Until then I'll stick with my SE and Montana.

Already no need for two devices with the new model, works wonderful. Sure the GPS part is fairly basic but it's more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by dharmadaniel View Post
    According to an inreach spokesperson, the functionality of the GPS is poor as compared to the standalone GPS unit as allan mentioned. I am trying to decide whether my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S7) would replace the GPS given the hardware and range of applications but I've yet to leave the GPS at home. Now that I have an inreach, I can't imagine not having one out there and the current rebate offer makes it hard to say no.
    what is this rebate offer?

Im looking to get into the sat com game but I'm not sure if I want text or talk. Is there a model that does both? pay by the minute plans?

I agree, now that Garmin is on board they need to mate the 64s and SE which would make carrying 2 devices unnecessary. I went with the SE model for now and am quite pleased. The rebate offer is 150 back, split as 75 for the hardware sent as a cheque I presume, and a subscription rebate matched to the plan you choose on activation up to 75. I misread the fine print and chose the discovery plan and now will only get that amount back,but could have picked the unlimited plan and for 1 month would have been reimbursed that value.
    It's easy to lose cell signal in my part of the world and the simplicity and price point of the SE with the redundancy of the 64s and cell phone for photos, etc is great. Having all this tech does add weight but I figure it's worth it, and have been on a weight cutting program with other gear which makes it a bit more palatable.