Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Untimely Helicopter

Untimely Helicopter

Hi all. I would like to first thank everyone who contributes to the fourm. This past year was my first hunting and thanks to the help of family, friends and everyone who contributes here I was able to find some success. Thanks again very much.

Anyways... A good friend and I where heading out for a hike in mulie hunt in late September. We hiked up the trail for around 2 hours before we reached our camp site near a nice bit of alpine at around 2000m. My favourite thing about this spot is that it's in an area that doesn't allow motorized vehicles.
    So we set up camp and have a snack. And as we are getting prepared to head out we hear a helicopter and it's heading our way. The piolet was a real mavric and buzzed the tower of our camp. Then he hovered over our hunting ground for a while and proceeded to land on a ridge not more the a kilometre away from our camp. We tried to get ready and hustle over to see what all the fuss was about but they took off before we could see where they had landed. They flew away into the sunset leaving us to think what all that may have done to our chances of finding a nice buck. And to wonder Is it legal to land a chopper in a no motorized vehicle zone? Has anyone else ever had a similar experience?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Untimely Helicopter

Years ago a buddy and I were waiting for a billy to come over a ridge to graze as we had observed him do for a couple of afternoons. Just as he was about to do so a chopper buzzed him/us and spooked him off along the ridge. Very frustrating!

could be forestry, what type of chopper?

I was a commercial heli pilot ... unless it was actually a park, yes it was legal. Obviously it easnt a park, because you were hunting ...And no, my name on this forum has nothing to do with my previous profession
    Last edited by Chopper; 01-28-2017 at 01:34 AM.
    JOIN US AT CRSPORTFISHING.CA

best to take video/pics and record any markings on air traffic that is harassing hunters or animals and report it asap
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Had a chopper come in and land on the boat launch at the head of Stave Lake
    while I was in the middle of loading my canoe. Pilot never gave me a chance to
    get out of the way so consequently the backwash from his props knocked over
    bike bicycle and scattered some of my gear. Fortunately none went into the water.
    One of the passengers apologized and helped me, but the others and the pilot
    thought it was funny. I would have loved to have a chance to thump that prick
    but he took off.

It was just regular passenger chopper. My guess would be a 4 seater....
    Damn. Scared away a potential goat! That's brutal. At lease for me they scared hypothetical anamials that may or may not have been there anyway.
    Good idea about taking a video sparkes. I'm always the last guy to think I need a pic/vid. It's something that I am trying to get better at as the gf likes to see what it's like out there

I dont think ya can do nothing about it..harassing legal hunt,,,no way to prove it.. suck it up..

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    I was a commercial heli pilot ... unless it was actually a park, yes it was legal. Obviously it easnt a park, because you were hunting ...And no, my name on this forum has nothing to do with my previous profession

Just because he was hunting that particular area doesn't mean it wasn't/can't be a park. There are lots of provincial parks that can be hunted

This chopper was sitting besides the Parks Cabin in Itcha. (fall of 2104)
    They were conducting some grass studies in the park.
    We got our bull up in the flats one morning. The Parks Manager heard the shots
    and came a looking. It did not take them long to find us.
    He checked my sons tag, our licences, and was off. A first for us.