Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Training with treats,,,,what do you like to give your dog?

Re: Training with treats,,,,what do you like to give your dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    I think it's important to wean your dog from 'treat dependence' as they progress through training
    so that by the time you're actually in the field hunting, praise has taken the place of treats.
    Having said that, using treats as you introduce your dog to all the bewildering commands and
    controlled atmosphere it's not used to usually is the fastest way while avoiding the common pitfall
    of scaring or otherwise negatively impacting it's enthusiasm to do well.
    Not a pro dog trainer by any means but I have been happy with how mine turned out. In the end if the treat method works for someone have at it.

I just stick with what worked for my father and myself. Never tried treats and no plans of it when I get my new pup. Patients and slow introduction has been what works for me

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    It's whatever works to get, and keep your dog's attention. If something other than treats works, that's great.
    A lot depends on the dog and / or the activity involved.
    "Praise and a toy" are basically bribes too.
    Yes but my pockets stay cleaner lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Yes but my pockets stay cleaner lol
    That's what zip lock sandwich bags are for or those little treat bags like chalk bags that hang on your belt.
    I do recall however awhile after getting our youngest dog dropping my keys into my jean's pocket and having the keys goes right through. Damn dog had chewed the bottom of my pocket completely out on the inside in his quest for treat remains.
    But yes, whatever works, be it treats, cuddles or what ever, all is good.

I've trained a fair number of dogs have never been one to give treats until after they are done then they get a milk bone.
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Greenies, (shaped like a tooth brush) that stuff is like crack!

I cut them up into small chunks, they are expensive...

I don't see training with treats as bribe,more like to mark a desired behaviour and reward this behaviour...and when it comes to training for hunting like retrieving,blood tracking,dead game baying,dead game guiding and bringsel guiding,to reward the dog with food since that's why he hunts in the first place....his innate drive to hunt is dictated by his will to find food.
    Rainer

I train with lamb lung. A piece about the size of a thumb nail is all it takes. As previously stated, the treat is not really a treat it's a reward. I also reward at the end of a training session with some play time and a rawhide.
    Proud member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Hunt,Kill,Eat

My Labs are very responsive. Dried beef liver cut in small strips and cubed.

Remember to consider the added calories when you are figuring out food amounts .

As as training progresses retrieving a ball is even better than food, so I use both.

From day 1, praise and affection.
    Don't outsmart your common sense.