Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spot and stalk spring black bear

Spot and stalk spring black bear

Hey guys,

Resident of the lower mainland (Langley) and looking at planning a spring black bear hunt. I'd like to get into some spot and stalk territory. I've heard southern exposure slides are a good place to start. Wiling to do a 3-4 hour drive for some day hunts and don't mind killer hikes. I was thinking maybe up Boston Bar (Anderson?) way or even Merritt. I spend most of my year hunting blacktail in the chilliwack valley so may even do some combo day trips to scout blacktail and look for black bear. This will be my first year hunting black bear and would greatly appreciate any tips or lessons learned anyone would care to pass on.

Thx

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spot and stalk spring black bear

Early spring I'd stick close to the valley bottoms near you. Late spring I would consider high country near Boston bar....like as high as there is new green growth. Mid may it's good pretty much anywhere.
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

If you are planning a trip, try not to go too early in the season. Easy to get antsy, I know. But wait till May and your chances go way up. Add another hour or two to your travel time and get into the chilcotin. Nice hunting in there.

most the bear ive seen early season are local..harrison or chilliwack type places. usualy first to green up with lower elevation.
    south facing. drainages. road edges since grass is usualy green first here. skunk cabbage is usualy some of the first foods. reading ive done says that triggers the guys to change to eat other foods. and help shit the butt plug out, apperently till then, they cant eat other foods?. im no scientist, just what my reading says

bears are everywhere, i dont think theirs a road around i havent gone up and find bears, also early season alot have the cubs still, the ones that will be pushed off will happen later, closer to rutt time. and will find more of the boars then to with rutt beginning

Sleep in. Bears are lazy, feed into the night and sleep like teenagers. The biggest thing-stay down wind at all costs. They have best nose going and ANY sniff of you will send them running...

Great feedback. I did some work for hydro near anahim lake a few years back. It was gorgeous back there. ANy tips on where to start looking or just head in and start hiking?

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    If you are planning a trip, try not to go too early in the season. Easy to get antsy, I know. But wait till May and your chances go way up. Add another hour or two to your travel time and get into the chilcotin. Nice hunting in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasp View Post
    ... I did some work for hydro near anahim lake..... ANy tips on where to start looking ....
    Yeah, don't go there for starters....

As long as you are up toward Boston Bar... swing up the Nahatlatch

Really, the bears are everywhere. The chilcotin can be great for glassing with the long, open views. Any back road in the province has a decent chance of having bears

If heading towards Nahatlatch, stick to the powerlines. Some record bears have come out of that area.

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    Yeah, don't go there for starters....

As long as you are up toward Boston Bar... swing up the Nahatlatch
    Huntin, fishin, and lovin every day.