Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to hunting

New to hunting

Hello everyone I just wanted to see if anyone can help me out on hunting I'm new to the province and also a new hunter. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any one that helps me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New to hunting

Hi Ben.

You're going to need to let people know where you live, what you're looking to hunt and what you're looking for. Most people will probably advise you to join a local rod and gun club and to just get out in the bush and start taking a look around. Pretty much everything you need to get started is available on youtube. Check this thread out: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...the-off-season . Good luck and welcome.

.....i would tell a joke pretty quick or these guys will light your ass up....welcome the province and site.

Welcome Ben!

Do you have your CORE and PAL (if your going to hunt with a firearm)? If so, where do you want to hunt? This place is a wealth of information, so do some reading and learn as much as you can during the off season.

Where do you live at. And what do you want to hunt and yep best start with a joke. Welcome to the best past time in the world though.

Surprised no one has said it yet, but depending how new you are to the province you may be ineligible to hunt as a BC Resident for some time yet. I believe you have to have your primary residence in the province for 12 months before considered a BC resident as far as wildlife act goes.

B.C. Resident Hunting

Hunting provides British Columbians an opportunity to get out into British Columbia’s world-renowned backcountry and enjoy the natural wonders of our province.
    Resident hunters should be familiar with B.C. hunting laws and regulations.

B.C. resident hunters will need a Fish & Wildlife ID (FWID) to apply for Limited Entry Hunting or to buy a hunting licence.
    The FWID replaces the old B.C. resident Hunter Number card. There is no cost to obtain one. Your FWID is linked to your personal online profile, which can be updated at any time.
    Resident hunting credentials provide proof that you are qualified to hunt in British Columbia.
    Hunters can apply for their FWID and hunting credentials using the new online service:

Definition of B.C. Resident

Under the Wildlife Act, a B.C. resident is:

1. A Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, whose only or primary residence is in British Columbia, and who has been physically present in British Columbia for the greater portion of each of 6 calendar months out of the 12 calendar months immediately preceding the date of making an application under this Act or doing another thing relevant to the operation of this Act

OR

1. A person who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, but whose only or primary residence is in British Columbia, and who has been physically present in British Columbia for the greater portion of each of the 12 calendar months immediately preceding the date of making an application under this Act or doing another thing relevant to the operation of this Act

Quote Originally Posted by Ben F. View Post
    Hello everyone I just wanted to see if anyone can help me out on hunting I'm new to the province and also a new hunter. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any one that helps me
    Learn how to shoot and learn how to shoot well.

Welcome Ben.

Most people start with bare hands, then progress to a sharpened stick after a few kills. Next is a knife, then a bow, and finally a rifle but most people never progress that far.

There is a practical exam for the CORE where you have to find a sow with cubs and separate them long enough to paint the cub's claws pink. That is how you know the difference between a full grown bear and a cub-- pink claws. If you score less than 75% on the exam you must demonstrate intestinal fortitude (literally) by eating strips of raw grizzly and coyote with the hide still attached. BC has rigorous standards for certifying hunters.

Kidding, of course, but I'm really telling you to do a bunch of research. This site offers a ton of assistance to people that make the effort.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    Learn how to shoot and learn how to shoot well.
    This!

You'll be surprised by how few resting benches there are in the bush so practice all different shooting positions that you can at a range near you. Finding animals is worthless if you cannot make a clean kill.