Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New to hunting

Re: New to hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    Learn how to use a map/compass and GPS. This will help you get off the beaten path and also help you peruse an animal which has disappeared into the woods. Put together a survival kit with which you can spend a unexpected night in the woods. That pack should go everywhere you go. Let someone know where you will be hunting and don't change locations without notifying someone.
    Thx you walks alot for the great info appreciate it

one thing that I find that helps slow you down is to be counting steps...as you transition from one area to another, look around and assess the area...based on that, pick a max number of steps you will take before stopping and doing a full look around....I go as low as 1 step in really good areas and a maximum of 20 paces (counting every second step) even when walking back to camp along a road (as long as it is shooting light)...it is very easy to daydream when walking through the woods so the counting keeps my mind on the game (pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    one thing that I find that helps slow you down is to be counting steps...as you transition from one area to another, look around and assess the area...based on that, pick a max number of steps you will take before stopping and doing a full look around....I go as low as 1 step in really good areas and a maximum of 20 paces (counting every second step) even when walking back to camp along a road (as long as it is shooting light)...it is very easy to daydream when walking through the woods so the counting keeps my mind on the game (pun intended)

It's hard but you have to be aware all the time even walking back to camp or vehicle. Last fall I was walking along the road after a hike in the bush and 100 yards from the truck a buck crossed the road in front of me faster than I could react.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    It's hard but you have to be aware all the time even walking back to camp or vehicle. Last fall I was walking along the road after a hike in the bush and 100 yards from the truck a buck crossed the road in front of me faster than I could react.
    That's similar to how I got my WT buck in the fall. Had gone down a road into the woods...paying lots of attention the whole time. Walking back to the truck through a cut...stop at the entrance to the cut and look around, see nothing, carry on tromping my way and then two WTs pop up to run away...couldn't see them from where I first came in but, had I been paying attention and moving slowly, it would have made getting that buck a lot less stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    That's similar to how I got my WT buck in the fall. Had gone down a road into the woods...paying lots of attention the whole time. Walking back to the truck through a cut...stop at the entrance to the cut and look around, see nothing, carry on tromping my way and then two WTs pop up to run away...couldn't see them from where I first came in but, had I been paying attention and moving slowly, it would have made getting

that buck a lot less stressful.
    I had seen so many does that trip I got into the habit of looking with binos every time I saw a deer. This time, I'm sure I saw antlers, but looked through the binos anyway to confirm, and yes, sure enough, I saw that it had antlers as it slipped into the bush never to be seen again.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    ...never to be seen again.
    Until you find him this year!

you can be pretty sure almost everyone has let their guard down on the way back to camp/truck/quad at least once

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    Until you find him this year!

Haha, yeah. I saw deer at or near that crossing point almost every day on that trip.

Once it's sunny in the morning here I might just start hiking before work. I leave at 5 hit the gym from 530 to 640 hot tub and steam room too then go to work for 7. But once i can see at that time will start hiking. To many cougars around here to hunt in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    Learn how to use a map/compass and GPS. This will help you get off the beaten path and also help you peruse an animal which has disappeared into the woods. Put together a survival kit with which you can spend a unexpected night in the woods. That pack should go everywhere you go. Let someone know where you will be hunting and don't change locations without notifying someone.
    This is good advice, feel free to PM me Ben F., I can give you pointers on navigation, as well as ideas for a good basic survival kit..