Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountains and Moose Meadows - 2016 (pic heavy)

Mountains and Moose Meadows - 2016 (pic heavy)

I Finally have some down time so I figured I'd share some stories of our success this year. It seems Photobucket is becoming more of a pain in the a$$ every time I log on so please be patient while I upload as I like to tell my stories with plenty of pictures. If you are the impatient type, check back tomorrow or the next day.

My two brothers and I have hunted together for the last 10 years in the high country just north of Kamloops where my Dad has been hunting since the 70's when there was a cow/calf GOS up there. We have always had good success in his old haunts with moose and will continue to put our LEH in there until the end of our days. This year for the first time we opted to put in for the October draw. We have always put in for the November draw as the odds are much better but this year we decided we wanted to hunt these beasts in the rut. If we didn't get the draw, we were heading to the far North. The last time we drew in the area was November 2011 and we shot 4 bulls between ourselves and our other group of buddies who drew that year.

Link to that story: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...unting+success

Just like every other guy and girl on here I eagerly awaited our LEH results from the day I submitted our groups entries. Once it was announced the draw had been run, it took me almost 2 days to be able to sign on to the new online system and check our draw. The suspense was killing me. Finally, I was able to log on. My heart almost stopped as excitement rushed through my body when I saw we had been drawn for our October shared moose hunt in the ol' stomping grounds. Two tags between the 3 of us since my dad doesn't hunt all that much anymore. I toyed with my brothers for a full week by telling them we had been unsuccessful and when I finally told them they both wanted to kill/hug me at the same time. We were on cloud 9. I must have spent 4 hours a day on google earth for the next 3 months to the point where my girlfriend wanted to smash both my phone and computer. I could not wait for this hunt.

Here are some of the bulls we have shot/seen in the area over the last 10 years

Last edited by ElliotMoose; 01-26-2017 at 12:35 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mountains and Moose Meadows - 2016 (pic heavy)

That un dead one is a great bull

The months flew by and before we knew it we were heading into september. We planned a fishing/scouting trip for Labour Day weekend as we were anxious to see what was out there. It was scorching hot all weekend aside from one day where it poured rain so we didn't see a whole lot aside from two pairs of cow/calf and this young tasty looking bull.

The fishing however, was phenomenal. Some of the best I have seen up there in years!

Last edited by ElliotMoose; 01-24-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Awsome so far.. So thats where all the spike bulls are in your freezers!

September flew by and before we knew it we were loaded up and on our way to camp. We went up on the Thursday evening so we had a full day to scout/setup camp before the season opened on Saturday. My younger brother has yet to shoot a bull of good size and really wants a nice moose rack so it was decided that I would shoot the first thing with antlers and he was going to hold out for something bigger. We all had two weeks off work so we felt confident that we could locate a couple bulls. After camp was setup and firewood was cut we set out on the quads for an evening scout. There was a new series of cuts only a few km from camp and at the back end of one of the cuts was a nice swampy pond with meadows on the shores that really had my attention. This is where I saw a cow/calf on our Labour Day scouting trip. As I putted my way down the new road the pond came into view. At first I saw nothing, but as I kept going and more of the pond came into my sight I saw what I wanted to see standing on the grassy shore.

If only it was one day later we would have been having moose tenderloins over the fire on the first day of the hunt. He stood there perfectly broadside for what seemed like minutes before slowly sauntering into the thick timber at the far side of the pond. I went back to camp and told the boys of my find and we couldn't wait for opening day. I noticed while looking on google earth that night that behind the pond through the timber a couple hundred yards where the bull was headed was a newer cut where the road had been deactivated. The road I saw the bull from was a good road which looked to have seen some traffic so I decided I would walk in from the deactivated side well before dark and spend the morning in there calling.
    Last edited by ElliotMoose; 01-24-2017 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 604Stalker View Post
    Awsome so far.. So thats where all the spike bulls are in your freezers!

Not gonna lie we have horseshoes up our a**es when it comes to finding spike/fork bulls. We seem to see at least a couple a year. We do spend a hell of a lot of time in those woods though

Nice whack o bulce.