Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yummm moose roast

Re: Yummm moose roast

Looks top notch Uber !

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Looks amazing, how did you cook it?
    Leave roast on counter covered until it is room temp before cooking (if not it wont cook even throughout)
    Cover in desired spices, I poke some holes with a thin knife and stuff some garlic chunks right into the roast.
    Get a frying pan searing hot, little bit of oil and pan sear all sides of the roast for a few seconds to get a nice crust.
    Oven at 325-350 depending on size of roast
    Trick here for a nicely cooked roast is place it directly onto the rack or another rack in the exact middle of your over. Not on a rack in a pan, it needs full air circulation around it.
    Place a pan a rack or 2 down to catch the drippings (moose is pretty lean so wont be too much, I've been told to place a chunk of beef fat on top so it renders down but haven't tried this)
    Time in there will completely depend on size and preferred doneness. Use a meat thermometer if your not sure/experience how to check by hand, go off a meat chart you can find online online.
    For the above roast I pulled it out at 122-125 internal temp. Always take it out 5-8 degrees lower than your preferred doneness
    Place onto a plate or something and cover in tin foil, I then cover in a few tea towels to hold the heat in, let it rest for min 5 mins and max 10 mins. Cut and enjoy

Another note, you can see the top right of the meat on the plate is slightly more done than the bottom left. This is due to not having it centered in my oven as I was baking some garlic bread too. This caused the one side to cook a little more than the other. Center it for best results.

Cheers,

Looks amazing! I'm drooling, and also weeping and tripping on my lower lip that I didn't connect on moose this season. Oh well..next year perhaps..
    Congrats and good eating!

Nice roast, GF...looks delicious.

With all due respect, the whole "room temp before cooking" thing is significantly overblown. Kenji at the good old Food Lab has a bit of a nice write up on this in their "steak myths" article:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/t...ing-steak.html

Two other things that could make it even better are (1) to go for a "reverse sear" method (low oven to start and sear at the end) for even more even cooking (although yours is obviously excellently executed using more traditional methods...but there's more room for error with reverse sear or, better yet, sous vide) and (2) let it rest on a rack like a cookie cooling rack or the like (I usually just sit one on a plate) to reduce the amount of juices lost during the resting period. Surface contact draws moisture, so the less the surface of the roast is touching something like a plate, the less moisture you stand to lose during the resting process.

Bigger roasts may also want for longer resting times.

None of that negates that it looks awesome! And I'm not saying any of it to be a jerk...but more because, when it comes to cooking, I'm more of a "anything that helps make it better is welcome information" type.

Looking forward to seeing more awesome meals!

Thanks for the lesson