Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tarp material

Re: Tarp material

I've been using a Rab 2 siltarp from MEC, I take it everywhere!! I recommend at least 2.4m x 3m, works great for two people or if you have a dog with yah etc... size of a nalgene bottle really light weight

Mountain Laurel Designs has a cuben fiber poncho that you can use as a shelter that weighs 4 ounces. A few guys were using them for shelters when I was hiking the PCT. Spendy though

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    That is a very good point but I was looking for a light tarp for an emergency situation. I have been lucky enough to never have to spend the night out in an uncontrolled environment, I have come close a couple of times. At crowding sixty-six I am trying to lighten my pack as I am finding difficult to believe a pound is still sixteen ounces, at the end of the day it feels like twenty-six.
    The idea that a canvas tarp is somehow more effective in BC mountain emerg. situations is simply ludicrous and depending on building a fire when lost or injured is actually dangerous.

You can and should put together a light, high quality emerg. kit that is ALWAYS with you and WILL keep you DRY and warm in any conditions we have here in BC,

This, can weigh only a FEW pounds and may well be the difference between an agonizing death in the bush and living through an ordeal to come home alive and then go hunting again,

For ONE person, I prefer the ID Silwing, pitched as low as you can so you can just get under it and a bivy of eVent plus a PL bag rated to 20*F, This will, with judicious use of some clothing, keep you alive and fairly comfy down to below 0*F, all night.

This, btw, comes from extensive personal experience doing this, not from some bullshit video or TV show.

What he said ^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    That is a very good point but I was looking for a light tarp for an emergency situation. I have been lucky enough to never have to spend the night out in an uncontrolled environment, I have come close a couple of times. At crowding sixty-six I am trying to lighten my pack as I am finding difficult to believe a pound is still sixteen ounces, at the end of the day it feels like twenty-six.

Yes canvas tarps are a bit heavier but they are worth their weight in gold.
    I have the same tarps I used in the army 6x6.
    siltarp only protects you from above while canvas is multi functional.
    You can use it as a tarp, hammock, stretcher, blanket, tent, poncho, throw, haul wood etc.
    and most importantly you can have a fire right close to the tent.
    Its not too bulky, about the size of a larger loaf of bread when rolled up.
    This backpack is about a foot wide.

1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I have a poncho, US military surplus that is very light, ebay, about $25 that is a good emergency cover.

Buy a siltarp 2 (8x10) and learn how to erect a quick shelter using sticks or hiking poles PRIOR to needing to do so, so that you can do it quickly in a pinch.

Just seen a WSSports flyer with a "Emergency Bivvy" thing, looks like a big plastic sleeping bag for emergency's incase a guy gets real cold and wet and hypothermia's setting in. Weight's only 3.8 oz's and cost 24.99, might take a look at them next time I'm up there. Yes I know it's not a tarp, but cost nothing to check it out,and could save someones life!