Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tikka 300 WM Barnes Reloading help

Tikka 300 WM Barnes Reloading help

Hi Everyone,

Trying to get an opinion on what powder to use to reload 180 grain TTSX that would put me as close to factory ammo as possible. What are some loads for Barnes that work for you? Also any cheaper place to get bullets other than cabelas at $52/50 rounds?

Thanks, I am just starting out on the reloading stuff

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tikka 300 WM Barnes Reloading help

Several options for powder, Reloader 22, H-1000, H-4831 are good choices for the 300 WM.

Check site sponsor for bullet prices.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

x2 on the h4831

Reloading is a tricky game, and asking for opinions is the same as asking horse people for one!! Every gun likes a different recipe. Although the constant should be buy the best you can afford, looks like you started well with the tikka and the barnes bullets, both are on my favorite list. My 300 wm unfortunately does not like the barnes, i have tried many powders and many combos of primers and brass and powder weights to get the barnes to work. I couldnt find one. What i found in mine was a combo of a speer roundnose, imr 4350, cci primer. Its maybe not what some people would call the best quality of reloading supplies but it groups like crazy, will clover leaf at 100. I have shot this recipe from this gun since the mid 90's and i sure wont ever look for another. Its a killer. Just mess around and try different stuff, sometimes it comes quick but sometimes you will find the sweet spot right away. I have 9 different big game and small game calibers that i have found the sweet spot in. I think for me i love the work of finding it and the gratification as well. Good luck

x3 on the h4831

X4 on the h4831

N560 is another great powder for the 300 when I couldnt find h4831 I switched and never looked back.

Highly reccomend RL26 if you can find any.....do a search for Alliant rl26 on here and read through that thread to see what it will do in a 300 win. My current go to load pushes a 200 grn lrx close to 3000 fps....extremely accurately.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

RL 22 75.5 grains. Close to or is max load. Shoots great, just work up to this amount as seating depths are different for all guns and will affect pressure differently for each gun

IMR 7828 may work good in your rifle too, its what I like.