Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: smart phone gps, for old fart

Re: smart phone gps, for old fart

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    just download google earth on your phone and look at the area you are going to while you are still in service. Then when you open it up in the bush the maps will all be there. Then you press the little arrow at the bottom of the screen and it shows you exactly where you are. I was using this 400km from the closest cell tower. Then you also have a camera on you as well.
    The problem is that phone batteries suck. You get one day max. So you have to carry some type of solar charger with you as well. That adds weight and cost. But, considering how shi**y my garmin extrex is, it might just be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    I would suggest you stick with the simplest of the phones and get a simple GPS device like Garmin Etrex.
    Do not, for the love of god, get an etrex 10! It is slow, it is crappy, and it comes with no memory, so you can't load additional maps on it. I use it so that I can find where i left the jeep, but that's about it .... It was a waste of $100 to be honest.

tried almost every gps there is for the iphones, best was gaia i found also
    you can pre load any maps you want to the cell also

leave the location service off while your out there, just turn it on when you want to check it and drop a flag,. saves the battery alot, theirs good small chargers out to for them. can get 3 to 5 charges for about 50 buck battery pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    tried almost every gps there is for the iphones, best was gaia i found also
    you can pre load any maps you want to the cell also
    Do you know if it can be installed on 2 android devices, or is it just for one device?. Or is it straight from app store and $20 for each device?.

I use Gaia app on my smart phone, with maps pre-downloaded for area i'll be in. For long trips i use a simple bushnell back track gps, cave man simple but works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Do you know if it can be installed on 2 android devices, or is it just for one device?. Or is it straight from app store and $20 for each device?.

I don't know about Gaia, but I installed HuntBuddy BC on my Android and then when i switched over to my iPhone it came along too which was a nice surprise. I think it should work the same for Gaia - as long as you bought it on one, your ID should be the same and it should come along to the second phone.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    im an iphone guy. and only have 1. not sure. for me mine sis in my apple acct, i can add it or remove it as i want. nevcer tried putting it on a diff cell, i think its related to the acct for my iphone though
    see if i can find that out for ya

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    I don't know about Gaia, but I installed HuntBuddy BC on my Android and then when i switched over to my iPhone it came along too which was a nice surprise. I think it should work the same for Gaia - as long as you bought it on one, your ID should be the same and it should come along to the second phone.
    thats odd that it worked on 2 diff operating systems, never seen that possible for any apps

looks like you can have it on as many as you want.just plug usb into pc or laptop, and log in with the 1 acct that purchased the gaia

https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/ar...itional-Device