Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: smart phone gps, for old fart

smart phone gps, for old fart

My cellphone service says I must get a new phone, my antique flip phone ain't gonna work no more. I have wanted a gps for years as wandering logging roads in hunting season can get confusing , especially coming out at night. So, my kids recommend a iPhone 7+ (big screen for old eyes). Is there a gps programme i can get that will work off network and allow me to do routing and way point function?A programme that will have maps for western Canada?

Thanks, and assume I know nothing about using smart phones when giving advice, because I do know NOTHING about smart phones!

2. Site Sponsor

Thumbs up Re: smart phone gps, for old fart

Check into this: http://www.adventurealan.com/iphone-...p-backpacking/

Several Buddies use the Gaia app, and they have all given up their stand-alone GPS units since they started with it.
    I plan on collecting a new phone soon, and will be going this route myself...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: smart phone gps, for old fart

I like maps 3D pro gps app, its basic and easy to use, and 3D. It works off line if you down load that area. I wish it had satellite imagry. The map app that comes with ur iphone is pretty handy too.

My friend uses the BC backroad adventure app and likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Check into this: http://www.adventurealan.com/iphone-...p-backpacking/

Several Buddies use the Gaia app, and they have all given up their stand-alone GPS units since they started with it.
    I plan on collecting a new phone soon, and will be going this route myself...

Cheers,
    Nog
    Hey Nog, thank for the link. I had a quick look at the sample topo for Canada West that they offer....for the areas I hunt, and a number of roads and trails seem to be missing. Do they have updated topos somewhere else?
    BC Backroad maps on my Iphone seem more current.
    Also, the free map app from Avenza, which uses free topos in pdf form from GeoBC , seems to be more current.
    Gaia looks great if it can use current maps.

Hey Bearheart....Look at the Google Pixel phone too. I find everything about it better than iOS (Apple).

Who is your provider? Telus gave me it for free when I turned in an old Blackberry from 10 years ago...And got some virtual reality goggles to go with. (Hours of entertainment)

I would suggest you stick with the simplest of the phones and get a simple GPS device like Garmin Etrex.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

OP, im not sure Gaia is for you. Gaia, at least the version I run is severely lacking in the road network department. It'll show mains but you're sol if you want to see secondary and spur roads. The satellite imagery of the app is also crappy imo as you can't be zoomed in very close at all.

I use Gaia because it doubles as a gps for the reasons important to me. Such as planning and following routes up mtns, putting waypoints on animals across rivers and valleys, and of course finding the truck. I save good routes/waypoints for future use. The data recorded in the track is also nice to have for future trips.

Yes it it does work offline/out of service. Expect to get <1 day on a full charge if you're constantly recording a loop but I usually can go a few days or more if not recording. I always carry a portable power charge when overnighting.

Sorry no personal experience with other apps as I need no other. A friend uses the BC Mapbook with his android device and I am super impressed with the road networks it displays.

Quote Originally Posted by bearheart View Post
    My cellphone service says I must get a new phone, my antique flip phone ain't gonna work no more. I have wanted a gps for years as wandering logging roads in hunting season can get confusing , especially coming out at night. So, my kids recommend a iPhone 7+ (big screen for old eyes). Is there a gps programme i can get that will work off network and allow me to do routing and way point function?A programme that will have maps for western Canada?

Thanks, and assume I know nothing about using smart phones when giving advice, because I do know NOTHING about smart phones!
    just download google earth on your phone and look at the area you are going to while you are still in service. Then when you open it up in the bush the maps will all be there. Then you press the little arrow at the bottom of the screen and it shows you exactly where you are. I was using this 400km from the closest cell tower. Then you also have a camera on you as well.

The Gaia program works great for me. Using it on a iPhone 7. Aerial photo resolution is
    as good as you get on the computer or certainly seem to be. Cheap and you can add it 5
    devices for the one time cost of $20 when we purchased it. It's been on our iPad and 4
    different iPhones at the house.