Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: smart phone gps, for old fart

Re: smart phone gps, for old fart

i also use this one..has some cool abilities. not realy a gps idea.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/theo...339393884?mt=8

If you are an old phart you may want to reconsider being shackled to the teat that is called Apple.... as an older conspiracy theorist with a mild persecution complex, I cannot join the ranks of lemmings that forfeit their personal information to the nefarious overlords... just saying.

If you want phree and reliable offline GPS with both vector mapping and ortho imagery... osmand is tough to beat (don't waste your time with the recent iOS version... it is beyond weak) It is open source, based on open street map and has a very large development community that contributes to the base code. It was made for Android primarily and recent attempts to recreate for iOS have been slow and lackluster.

http://osmand.net/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...t.osmand&hl=en

I run an old Samsung S4 on my person and have a Samsung tablet in the vehicle - they are cheap and reliable. You download the entire Canadian vector base maps and save to the devices. Before your trip to a new area, while on-line at home, you enable ortho imagery, zoom to the area you will be in and save those tiles at the desired resolution you want (make sure you have enough memory).

The app does take a bit of learning and practice to get fluent with it, but it is far from rocket science. And it works like magic... my hunt partners have all been amazed at the pre hunt scouting of off the path spots i have found using this system.
    Last edited by elch jager; 01-23-2017 at 11:49 AM.

and you think apple is the only one handing out our info? they all do,

I haven't had a close look at it but I have Navionics for the "marine" side of things but when I purchased it I was also given a "Hike and Bike" app to go along with it. It looks pretty good but I don't have much of a reference in other apps to compare it to.

http://www.navionics.com/en/hike-and-bike

I recall a buddy mentioning Maps 3D as a decent app too.

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    If you are an old phart you may want to reconsider being shackled to the teat that is called Apple.... as an older conspiracy theorist with a mild persecution complex, I cannot join the ranks of lemmings that forfeit their personal information to the nefarious overlords... just saying.

If you want phree and reliable offline GPS with both vector mapping and ortho imagery... osmand is tough to beat (don't waste your time with the recent iOS version... it is beyond weak) It is open source, based on open street map and has a very large development community that contributes to the base code. It was made for Android primarily and recent attempts to recreate for iOS have been slow and lackluster.

http://osmand.net/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...t.osmand&hl=en

I run an old Samsung S4 on my person and have a Samsung tablet in the vehicle - they are cheap and reliable. You download the entire Canadian vector base maps and save to the devices. Before your trip to a new area, while on-line at home, you enable ortho imagery, zoom to the area you will be in and save those tiles at the desired resolution you want (make sure you have enough memory).

The app does take a bit of learning and practice to get fluent with it, but it is far from rocket science. And it works like magic... my hunt partners have all been amazed at the pre hunt scouting of off the path spots i have found using this system.
    Have you used Gaia? Wondering how Osmand would compare. How are Osmand's "off road maps" The link shows mostly city streets etc..

bearheart I'd recommend just getting the iPhone and call that good for now it comes with mapping. I've got an ancient 4s, barely supported any more and the map function that it comes with is pretty handy. And it works out of the service area BUT you need to bring up the map of the area you're interested in while you are in phone service, once its downloaded on your phone its there even if you're out of service, just click the map function let it load and there's a nice sat photo image with the lil blinking light showing where you are including roads and road names you can zoom in and out plan routes etc etc. You can add on the fancier programs and stuff later if you want but like I say what they come with is quite useable.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I have not used Gaia. I did look at their info on the web and decided to go with osmand. Can't comment on what I haven't used and don't really recall why I choose osmand over gaia.

In osmand, the forestry roads are all in the vector base maps and are surprisingly up to date and accurate. I hunted through regions 4-2,3 as well as 5-2,15 and 3-12 and everything was spot on. I downloaded the ortho tiles for each hunt area and placed pins on spots of particular interest. Likewise in the field I could drop pins where i found a moose highway or awesome clear cut with promising sign.

95% of users are city dwellers looking for something to guide them in big cities... I have no use for that. There is also quite a biking and hiking community that have driven the backwoods use and development. It is free so I thought I would download and try... if it was disappointing I'd delete and try Gaia... I have been impressed so I stuck with it.

GPS KitHD,,,, basically Google Earth with you at all times. You may need to cache some imagery if you want fine fine details, but for general roads etc. it is great. You can tracklog, take a photo and it is embedded right into the track. Get home hit the email as KMZ and open it in Google Earth and the photos are there as well.

xpeier