Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: spike camps ... what do you bring

Re: spike camps ... what do you bring

Has anyone tried a SOL Escape bivy?
    combined with a down puffy and a Siltarp should be good for any siwash

Base, spike, siwash, three levels of comfort and portability
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Not sure the weight of it but my tarptent stratospire 1 is just over 2 lbs and has a lot of room..personally I couldn't do a bivy but that's me
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

For those unexpected over-nighters its best to have something that stays in the day pack all the time, so smaller the better imo.
    Have used an emergency mylar bag but they are almost just single-use and don't offer enough coverage imo
    and forget those cheesy emergency blankets, hardly big enough to signal with let alone stay warm

Siltarp would be a good option as they are pretty lightweight and pack small
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

i picked up a USMC surplus gortex bivy sack on ebay, not sure if it is worth using if your hunting in pairs .wouldnt replace a two man tent split between two guys for weight, but it was a cheap option to have in the tickle trunk.

Well, hoping to get back to our sheep hunt this year, from lake it's 7-8hrs hiking up through the valley an to top of tree line where we set up camp for a week and a half. I got in on the Giru / Kuiu Summit Shelter. Things pretty light, lots of floor space, uses to hiking poles to set up. They are going to be able to run a Ti-Stove in them also. This will be my go to over nighter for when I'm not hiking back to camp.

So I have limited experience with floorless tents or tarps, with the military as well as the odd hike in overnight er..never had a problem with weather in my experiences, but I have never experienced a night in one in an intense downpour....so what experiences have you all had with these in a intense rain situation?? Do you find that with a good location, for example, a top of a small hill or knoll where water can't pool or run down into your area, that you stay dry?? I have a very good quality tent, but it weighs about 6.5 lbs is a 3 man, and is bulky...

Hey what do you folks think of this:
    http://www.liteoutdoors.com/product/...FVKewAodNbYHFg

And how many of you can shed some light on my question in the post above???

Do you find that with a good location........that you stay dry?
    The term 'dry' is so subjective )
    and being relative to Murphy, who knows what will happen )
    dry camps under mosquito nets to wet camps in good tents, it happens

Guess I mean, no, I can't help

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    For those unexpected over-nighters its best to have something that stays in the day pack all the time, so smaller the better imo.
    Yup. In the pack at all times . . . that's been my approach the last two seasons for Stone's, bighorns, goat and spring grizzly. Want something that is lightweight and can withstand a solid wind/storm. So far the one man MSR Hubba Hubba NX (fly, poles and groundsheet only) has fit the criteria and is around 2 lbs. Fits two guys with packs with no room to spare. Bring down bag, 3/4 length NeoAir, pocket rocket stove, enough food for 3 days and focus on going far from base camp to find game. Got tired of sleeping under the stars, in a plastic bag or trying to bust it back to base camp each day or hiking all night with an animal in the pack. Should have done it years ago . . . may have extended the life of my body!
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC