Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: spike camps ... what do you bring

spike camps ... what do you bring

Want to learn more about spike camps and how you go about it. I imagine it will be mostly sheep hunters chiming in, but i'd like to hear from high country mule hunters as well

* What do you bring with you?
    * How far from base camp do you usually find yourself when you decide you should camp and not return to base camp?
    * Tarps or bivys? Anyone use one of those "emergency bivy"?
    * How often have you decided to just move basecamp instead of spike camping? (I guess water is a big concern in some spots)

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: spike camps ... what do you bring

Most of my spike outs over the years have used a bivy and tarp with a foam pad under a Thermorest I used my first 3/4 length TR pad over Ensolite since I bought it circa 1977/78, the first model available and from MEC(yikes). I was younger and made this combo work well enough.

I now have 3 different models of original Calgary-made ID bivies, an original Unishelter, kept for emerg. situations in my MR "truck pack" with a Siltarp III, OD, a yellow eVent centerzip model for winter hiking and general use in hiking, with a Silshelter and an eVent OD model used with my two ID Pl. hunting bags.

I vary U/L tarps between these and carry a butane canister, Snowpeak Litemax Ti stove, Titan kettle and a few bits and pieces, works well in most conditions.

Then, IF, I can still do it, I have an original ID MKI Lite GT tent, among the lightest true mountain tents ever made, outstanding quality and used for treeless and buggy conditions. Tight quarters, but, will keep me together in the worst weather.

Spiking, is a sound way to go, but, pretty tough for we old guys if meat packing is involved.

In my sheep hunting day's, a war surplus reflective space blanket was always in my pack. All I needed for a couple of nights even in the snow. Not something I'd do now, but being young and immortal it worked for me.

Once I leave the lake/river, it's all technically spike camp. LOL. If for some reason I don't have my camp on my back, it's a sil tarp and trekking poles in conjunction with an X-Therm and down bag, along with water, food and Jetboil Sol.

Spike camp doesn't have to be a major undertaking. I have done these just to get to where I want to be for first light and many times these are only about 2 hrs away from the truck or quad. If Its just an overnighter I bring good food like sandwiches rather than freeze dried. I took my best goat where I could still see my pickup from spike camp. It did take me all day to climb that mountain though!

I guess some parameters could be set, but I never consider base camp as anything that could feasibly be carried on your back in one trip. Once I leave the drop off point it's all spike camp, unless I forgo my tent and unessential gear for a summit pursuit, then I guess that'd be more of a bivouac.

I guess spiking out to me would be when your staying overnight away from your primary camp. In this case a sil tarp (bug dependant as they can sure ruin a nights sleep). Me and my buddy each bring our own light weight tents and in a pinch or for spiking out you could squeeze 2 in the tent. He has the BA Fly Creek ul2, I had the same but sold it and looking at the strtospire 1 . The ul 2 is about as small as you would go for 2 guys. So just leave all camp gear in one of the tents at "base camp " and bring the other
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    I guess some parameters could be set, but I never consider base camp as anything that could feasibly be carried on your back in one trip. Once I leave the drop off point it's all spike camp, unless I forgo my tent and unessential gear for a summit pursuit, then I guess that'd be more of a bivouac.
    I was thinking spike camp more along the lines of what Rob mentions .... away from basecamp. That is, if you set up base camp, how far do you allow yourself to hike daily from that camp before you agree to move camp. I guess you could think of it as "how close to your game do you camp?.

If some hanging valley always has bucks that come out and feed, how close to that hunting ground do you set up camp?

On one hand, the closer you are the less hiking you have to do each day. The further you are, the less likely you are to spook game.

Last sheep hunt we hiked approx 7-10 km from camp each day, we were seeing lots of goats and sporadic sheep. If I went back to that spot I would set up a Basecamp then take minimal for a day or two. Sheep are where you find them. I missed my stone 8 kms from camp 7 hrs later my buddy shot his about 600 meters south of camp when we were coming back.
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

You want to spike camp, get miles away from all the road hunters and wannabee sheep hunters. Get a good packboard, a good tarp (I hate not being able to see out of tent) a couple of pounds of raisin, cashews, and chocolate chips combined and sleep where the night finds you. You WILL find what your looking for. Did it for years, loved every minute of it. No great need for all the techi crap they sell today, could spend a week in the mountains and usually came out with a ram.