Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter Chinook

Re: Winter Chinook

Bump. Any updates on fishing? Heading out on Monday.

We decided to head to deep cove this last friday and try to figure out the prawns and show my buddy granite falls and the indian river..awesome day out but got stumped by the prawns..pulled and moved the traps 4 times with only 10 prawns and 1/2 females..

Anyway saw a guy in deep cove fishing, to my surprise he said he gets the odd spring in there...met some guys at the launch that were out on the west side of bowen at tunstall bay and they got one 15lber and one under size for the day, he said he was fishing spoons and bait..he had been at defense islands a few days before with no luck..

Let us know how you do Monday..I'll probably head back to howe sound and try and fill my freezer with prawns and do some trolling while the traps soak..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

I didn't make it out on Monday but I went out today just in the harbour. Got 2, one undersized released. The other was a race to get it in the boat, 3 seals were immediately around the boat. I'll be out again next week to see if more show up.

Nice job jamfarm!

Nickel bright beauty there
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

Awesome! Thanks for the update, you gave me a little motivation to get out there again..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Fish the bottom for winters.
    Glow is good yes but not the end all
    3" coyote lime green glow is deadly
    glow cuddle fish
    and never forget chovies.

We fish hard to bottom only. Thats it.
    That coyote is on one side and bait on the other. Then we see what happens
    bait is behind a purple glow hotspot

but, looks like your doing ok! Thats a nice feeder.
    dad has been into a steady 10-15 a day, lots o keepers but we only keep 5lb plus. Out here 18" is the limit and that is too small for us. 24" or better gove or take.

Sooke is where we fish

Seal hunting legal? I watched the gillnetters take a few out.
    Shut the clicker on the reel off. It is a diner bell to them.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

guest Guest

Purple colours and theme are terrific for winter springs, but as said go down to the bottom and follow the contours. No need for flashers as the water is very clear this time of year. Although flashers will attract or add action. Great to see guys out, wish it wasn't so much darn work, including set up and wash down, flush etc from the valley. Or I'd be at it all the time.

We use dummy flashers.
    Clip them to the back of the down rigger ball use gangon to tie the clip to flasher. Then clip your gear a couple feet above it you get the attraction and the fight. This was figured out over a few trips with one sode traditional and the other dummied. Works with spoons and bait but you still need the flasher if you are gojng to use hootchies.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Seal hunting legal? I watched the gillnetters take a few out.
    Shut the clicker on the reel off. It is a diner bell to them.
    Was chucking some old bait overboard in deep cove and a seal popped up real close, I decided to see if I could hand feed him, I dangled a piece of western pacific tiger salmon (chum) overboard and to my surprise the seal swam right up, stopped 2' underwater, looked at us and like a shy dog rose up out of the water and gently took the chunk of salmon out of my hand. I could have gaffed him and had oil to dip my crab in lol....they are pretty cute with their big doe eyes..

I noticed pacific net and twine sells seal bombs, are they legal to use? Talking to an old commercial fisherman, he said whenever they'd get a big chinook on the troll because it was worth pretty good money on their little boat and there were seals around his skipper would toss one of those out into the water..apparently seals have pretty sensitive hearing and they leave town after that..