Thread: Flavour vs farmed?

Flavour vs farmed?

Hey waterfowlers - quick question. How do wild ducks and geese taste in comparison to farmed? I love duck (duck breast is prob my favourite meat) so could see myself waterfowling in the future...presumably they're good as lots of people shoot them, but wanted first hand thoughts.

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Flavour vs farmed?

I love the flavour of Chinese roast duck, but domestic duck is really fat and the flavour is more delicate and wild duck a little more robust. Ever had wild boar to compare to pork or farmed Fallow deer meat compared to wild venison? Do you like the dark meat off a turkey or white meat?

If you like the dark meat, it is similar to that but not so greasy and a little more "ducky."

As with any game post harvest care is essential. We can easily gut-shoot wild duck wing shooting so I pluck and clean 'em the day I shoot them. If there is any hint of gut-shot, in addition to thoroughly flushing out the body cavity with lots of cold water, if it's really bad I'll swish vinegar in them to before cold water flushing again .

I have a friend that hangs them for two weeks before plucking and cleaning. I can't think of a better way to bugger up some nice meat than that.

But I don't really know much about ducks. If Ian sees this question he might provide his more experienced advice.

Like a lot of game, they take on the flavour of their diet.

Fish ducks, not so tasty, just like fish bears.

Grain fed ducks, yummy.

I just wish I could tell them apart in the air so I could figure which ones to smoke and which ones to make into jerky.

In answer to your original question, there is no comparison, that is why ducks are domesticated and raised for table fare. There are many that enjoy and prefer the flavor of wild waterfowl but there is no comparison.

Thanks for your thoughts. All good to know.

Will have to learn about waterfowling without a dog...I don't think I could teach my 9.5 year old lab to take it up now...he was in the car once last year when I stopped to fire some test rounds and was pretty scared when I got back to the car from the shooting.

Farm duck tastes different than wild even different species of Wild duck taste different.

Personally Teal is my fav just wish they were bigger