Thread: Vortex Viper PST

Maple Ridge, Horse Lake but sometimes the dog house

Vortex Viper PST

Is there anyone out there with this scope? What are your experiences? MOA or MRAD? Which Magnification 4-16 or 6-24? Have you added a custom turret? The good and the bad. Not looking to start a debate on which manufacturer is best. I'm specifically interested in this scope as a possibility to put on my Browning X-Bolt Western Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Thanks for your input.
    Cody: It's a pretty cool sidearm you got there. What is it?
    Four Leaf Tayback: I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

Marvin Boggs

Frank, I never thought I'd say this again. I'm getting the pig!
    Frank, we gotta get rid of this broad. I know a great place up the road. Lots of alligators.

Marvin: If there's one thing I know, it's women and covert operations.
    Frank: Marvin, that's two things.
    Han Cho Bai: No, grasshopper. It is not.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Vortex Viper PST

I have a couple PST's, 2.5x10 and 4x16, both moa.

The 2.5x10 has ~3000 rounds on it riding 3 different rifles, no issues at all.

The 4x16 has in part been helpful in my best ever 5 shot group at 1000 yards.

A custom dial is limiting as you are stuck to one load per dial, much prefer to tape a range card to the stock recording drops with an additional column recording horizontal for a full value wind (10 mph) in inches.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

I have one. It's a 6-24x50mm in MRAD with the EBR-1C reticle. It's okay.
    Its been in for warranty a few times, which is always a killer...
    Simply put in my opinion,
    pros:
    good looking,
    like the reticle
    turret clicks are firm and positive
    i like the fibre optic on the turret cap,
    comes with sunshade.

cons:
    magnification dial is STIFF!!
    optic isn't always clear at high mag
    i don't trust that it won't fail.

Overall it's nice glass, clarity is not an issue, but mine will go blurry above about 14x under certain conditions. I currently have mine on my 223 target gun and for that purpose it's great.
    I hated hunting with it, but I think I'd hate hunting with any scope similar.
    If it's within your budget and you like it, go for it. It's a great price for what it is. However if I was more hardcore into the LR shooting and tactical stuff i would definitely upgrade.
    I give it a solid 7/10 overall.
    Originally posted by MEATEATER
    If anyone says blacktails there lying no one can figure them out
    Hunt Hard, Hunt safe, Eat Well.

I have the 4-16 and 6-24 mrad and prefer the 6-24 for clarity. Targets only, no hunting. I've had them for several years now with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by BCBRAD View Post
    I have a couple PST's, 2.5x10 and 4x16, both moa.

The 2.5x10 has ~3000 rounds on it riding 3 different rifles, no issues at all.

The 4x16 has in part been helpful in my best ever 5 shot group at 1000 yards.

A custom dial is limiting as you are stuck to one load per dial, much prefer to tape a range card to the stock recording drops with an additional column recording horizontal for a full value wind (10 mph) in inches.

3000 rounds with no failures. Read it on the internet, can't be true!

Check out the new for 2017 PST Gen2 3-15x44 or 5-25x50, they made some real nice changes over the 1st gen PST's
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    3000 rounds with no failures. Read it on the internet, can't be true!

Check out the new for 2017 PST Gen2 3-15x44 or 5-25x50, they made some real nice changes over the 1st gen PST's
    Had it on a 30-06, 300 WM, and the majority of rounds on a 223, lots of dial twisting.

Got some Bushnells too, no problems yet.

Leupold in Okotoks is on speed dial though lol
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

I run both the 4-16 and 6-24. have used them on my 7mm, 300 win, 22-250 and .270. I don't use custom dials. I prefer to adjust per target for which ever round I'm firing. I seem to have a thing were I try a new bullet out each year. Ive used for both hunting and at the range. I never had a time where I lost my zero. Tracking seems spot on. The glass is good and clear. The magnification dial is pretty stiff and that's about the only thing I dislike about them. you can buy a throw lever to fix it. cant beat their warranty. I had dropped my rifle and it landed straight onto the elevation. taking a chunk of the grip portion and making the dial have a stiff spot. sent it in and they replaced the scope for free. only cost me shipping to them.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Decided on the 6 - 24 x 50 MRAD. Anxious to boresight it and get out to the range to try it out.
    Four Leaf Tayback: I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

Marvin Boggs

Frank, we gotta get rid of this broad. I know a great place up the road. Lots of alligators.

Quote Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their input. Decided on the 6 - 24 x 50 MRAD. Anxious to boresight it and get out to the range to try it out.
    Heads up, 15-18 INCH pounds of torque on the rings screws ONLY. It really isn't a lot, but its recommended by Vortex Tech's Twice now ive had the cause of my failure determined to be too much torque (22 in/lbs as per leupold PRW spec).

Nice scope, its good value for the price. I personally love the EBR-1C reticle. Enjoy!
    Originally posted by MEATEATER
    If anyone says blacktails there lying no one can figure them out
    Hunt Hard, Hunt safe, Eat Well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter Jr. View Post
    Heads up, 15-18 INCH pounds of torque on the rings screws ONLY. It really isn't a lot, but its recommended by Vortex Tech's Twice now ive had the cause of my failure determined to be too much torque (22 in/lbs as per leupold PRW spec).

Nice scope, its good value for the price. I personally love the EBR-1C reticle. Enjoy!
    Thanks for the heads up. I use the blue Loctite so I don't over-tighten typically but will definitely be extra careful.

Marvin Boggs